Window Motor Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

defiant

Reaction score
gallery_1227_64_1091842225.jpg

Here are instructions to fix the problem common to all ford window motors . These nylon barrells sooner or later all break apart. Clean out all of the broken peices and clean out the motor transmission . Next you need (6) 1/4" nuts . Place 2 nuts stacked flat on each other into each of the three holes (highlighted in the photo) . Put some fresh qualitly wheel bearing grease into the all of the transmission part of the window motor . Then reinstall the drive gear and the cover plate. Reinstall the window motor and enjoy a window that will always run trouble free until either the motor itself frys or the worm gear wears out..

Hope that you all find this little tip handy :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Soon to come i will do a write up with photos of installing LED underbody lights for those of you that like to go wheeling in the dark. Will be trail tested with some night photos of these lights in use on the trail(maybe a few weeks cause i will be moving on the 20th of Aug).
Just used yor pointers on my passanger window ,you hit a home run ! It was a snap Thanks DEFIANT

Tattooroger

Reaction score
Hey there so I have a question, not only about the motor but the electrical. I have a 1990 bronco an the switch that controls the back window shows it has power going to it, when the key is turned to the on position the constant the up an down all have power but when I have the truck running there is no power to the switch at all. Now I got a new motor an it worked once but only going up an not down. I'm not sure what it could be

Thanks

Roger new bronco owner

gallery_1227_64_1091842225.jpg

Here are instructions to fix the problem common to all ford window motors . These nylon barrells sooner or later all break apart. Clean out all of the broken peices and clean out the motor transmission . Next you need (6) 1/4" nuts . Place 2 nuts stacked flat on each other into each of the three holes (highlighted in the photo) . Put some fresh qualitly wheel bearing grease into the all of the transmission part of the window motor . Then reinstall the drive gear and the cover plate. Reinstall the window motor and enjoy a window that will always run trouble free until either the motor itself frys or the worm gear wears out..

Hope that you all find this little tip handy :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Soon to come i will do a write up with photos of installing LED underbody lights for those of you that like to go wheeling in the dark. Will be trail tested with some night photos of these lights in use on the trail(maybe a few weeks cause i will be moving on the 20th of Aug).

Doug Bowles

Reaction score
First post on here, bringing up an older thread but i was wondering if this works for window motors on my bronco that rolled down but wont roll up? You can hear the motor working but nothing is happening. If that is the case, i will be repairing them this weekend.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Doug

Prob is the issue

See this article too

Motor Replacement & Repair (Motor Torque Pin (also called Bushing)) in 87, 88, 89+ "...Dorman HELP part number 74410..."

Source: by bigmercury.com http://www.bigmercury.com/bigmercury_technical.htm#pwrepair

Motor Removal & Repair in an 89

Source: by Brahma502 at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/15076/50238

Grease is only necessary on the central shaft & the outer plastic gear teeth - not in the pockets where the nuts go, though grease on the nuts may help them stay in place while the center gear is being installed.

Also clean glass track w/cotton rag dipped in dish wash soap solution; wrapped around popsicle stick; then **** track w/silicone; I prefer silicone in grease form so as not to have over-spray from aersol can on paint and glass/upholstery

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno