Why does it whine when I steer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THWG

Reaction score
'93 Eddie Bauer, 302

Often, when I am steering, there is an obnoxious whine coming from the engine compartment. My A/C is out. Power steering seems to fine.

What the **** is wrong with my baby?

tiller83

Reaction score
it's either belt squeel or you have air in your power steering fluid,or your stressing the steering system by turning to far or turning at a dead stop.

OP
OP
T

THWG

Reaction score
it's either belt squeel or you have air in your power steering fluid,or your stressing the steering system by turning to far or turning at a dead stop.

Air in my power steering fluid, you say? Interesting.

The more I turn the wheel, the more it whines. Also, It does it more after I drive consistently quick, come to a stop, then drive slowly. (Similar to driving on a road, turning left into a parking lot, then navigating to a parking space.)

Does that sound consistent with air in the power steering fluid?

Also, could it be the pump?

bigjohn

Reaction score
I have a 1980 with a 302 and mine was doing the same thing and I had to replace the pump it self and now it is working great

bigjohn

Seabronc

Reaction score
Have to agree with Big John. The only fix is rebuilding or replacing the pump. If you have big tires, you might want to convert to a Saginaw pump.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23