Where To Begin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRopp

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently saw a 69 Bronco and have been curious ever since. Here's a few questions for all you veterans out there:

If I buy a 1969 (or 69-77) and am looking to use the truck for everyday driving and weekend trips to the mountain (snow)...I am not looking for a significant time hobby but I am up for spending some time on the vehicle. I don't know squat about cars/trucks at this point but am willing and interested in learning.

What am I getting myself into?

Am I correct that 1968-77 are essentially the same model?

How much should I expect to pay...ideally under 5K?

What should I expect to find for that price (condition/equipment/miles/etc.)?

What am I looking to avoid?

What resources can you guys recommend to get me started?

Anything else you can think of....?

Thanks in advance. I envy all of you!

J

Last edited by a moderator:

kikenhorse

Motor Man
Reaction score
Wish I could be of more help but I looked for a '69 -"77 Bronco in this area (Eastern Canada) for 4 years. None were available! I settled for a Bronco II. I spent the last year basicly getting it back to a good sound reliable vehicle. I live in the Mountains and we presently have 4ft. of snow on the ground, so we know snow!

I have had 3 Bronco II's besides my F150 4X4 and I drive the one I have now all winter.

I am sure there are Early Bronco's out there someware for sale but you did not give your location.

For info. this site is the best.. Also try the Web pages. ie Bronco Driver and Ranger Station.

Good luck and buy the best you can afford---parts are expensive!!

Jes4Kix

Reaction score
I'm a Big Bronco fan myself but I can tell you the addiction is the same. What are you getting yourself into....ha, the joy and the pain, the laughter and tears, the excitement and disappointment of what can become an all consuming hobby. What's it going to cost? Well lets see, if you get hooked......it'll cost you everything you can spare and them some, if you stay on the fringe then it won't cost you all that much. The more you want to play the more you'll eventually have to pay.

For me it's like this, if I get stuck I'm going home to work on Jes4Kix so don't get stuck in the same spot next time. I know full well I'll get stuck again I just hope it a little further down the trail. I want to be able to drive through it, over it or winch myself by it. "It" always gets in my way, mud, snow, ice, boulders, trees and hills....and on the way to work sometimes a Yugo or Geo!

What are you in for, it's like any hobby ........ as much or as little as you are up for.

As for where to look, I watch ebay for bronco's, parts and add-on's all the time. Just make sure you know what you are buying before you let loose of that hard earned cash. $200 for a round trip flight is cheap compared to $5000 sight unseen.

Hope this helps,

Jes4Kix

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
welcome to the board and hopefully soon to the bronco gang.

I'm sure most started out saying like you did. i'll use it for weekend trips and such. But once you buy a bronco the bronco bug bites you! you'll spend any extra time and money to make it better.

In my erea 5K you'll be lucky to get a good start on a early bronco, but if you look they can be had in good shape at that price.

check the normal area's for cancer "rust" floor boards and such. some of the early bronco guy's can point out the many spots.

A good start to add to a bronco you get is good tires and a rear locker of sort. Since you'll be taking it in snowy/icey roads i'd use a limited slip or a good select-able locker, since full lockers have bad road manners on slick roads.

all in all, find one in your price range, to your likings and you should be happy.

MUSCLE HEAD

Reaction score
welcome to the gang. i've had a 73 bronco and now a 79 and a 95. my 79 is becoming cancer free (in the body shop) i was told it could cost me 5 grand for a complete face lift, we'll see i gave 600.00 dollar's for it. after a 351m to a 460 engine swap i have about 1500.00 in it as of now without the face lift. hope i've giving you some kind of help good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj