When Good Brackets go Bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike G

Reaction score
Well I've been chasing a front end vibration for the last few weeks. Installed new front coils to help the sag in the front end and 6 new shocks all the way around. Had the alignment set and tires balanced and rotated. It did help but this vibration would come and go. So I got under the front end and noticed that the R/H radius arm support brackets on the back side was shinny around the bushing. So having a friend look at them while I power braked in drive then reverse the radius arm bushing was jumping up and down about a inch to a inch and a half.

The pictures pretty well sum it up.

IMG00213.jpg

IMG00216.jpg

walnuts75

Reaction score
That's about what happend to me. The plastic ring that goes on the bracket in betwen the bushings broke completely off and allowed a lot of play to occur between the bracket and radius arm. I ended up having to get new bushings, radius arm brackets (they were completely torn up and cracked right down the middle), and had find a new plastic ring to replace the old one that broke. Good luck!

OP
OP
Mike G

Mike G

Reaction score
It's all back together now. Replaced the bracket and all the bushings. And replaced the bushings on the L/H side to prevent a future worn bracket.

Mike

rebel33382

Bob Labob
Reaction score
I need to do that to mine, hopefully tomorrow, can you give my step by step, can it be done with out have to take the shocks and other stuff off, can you just drop the bracket and slide a new one right on?

OP
OP
Mike G

Mike G

Reaction score
Thats pretty much it rebel. I was there when the guy did it. Out of town again so had to get it done. Weight off the wheels and he just unbolted the bracket and the radius arm. Slide the new bushings on and the new bracket and tightened it up. Took about 30 minutes for him to do both sides.

walnuts75

Reaction score
Aww man! thirty minutes to do both sides thats awesome! When I did mine it took me 45 min just to get the radius arm nut off without damaging anything. It was completely rusted on. I had to take lots of heat, a floor jack, and a breaker bar just to get it off. Other than that everything was straight forward and pretty easy. Good luck with that rebel!

OP
OP
Mike G

Mike G

Reaction score
Ya watching him do it made me wish that I had the tools and time to tackle the big stuff. I've been through 4 moves in 6 years and my stuff is still so spread out and boxed. Next move is in 5 or 6 months will be to Mo. Back in the day I would of done it no worries.

Getting old ain't for *****'s.

Mike

Lummix66

Reaction score
I just had the exact same thing happen to me, however i still haven't been able to find a new/used bracket to fix it. So I'm driving it as is for now. The arm clunks a bit, but as long as i'm not doing anything stupid with the truck until i can get it fixed i'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm not looking forward to changing the bracket as it appears as if it's riveted on to the frame as opposed to simply being bolted on.

shift1313

Reaction score
if the brackets havent been replaced they should be riveted on the truck. I think its a pretty common problem unfortunately

OP
OP
Mike G

Mike G

Reaction score
Mine came from Carquest. They were original (i think) and were bolted on. I also had the bushings replaced at the same time.

Lummix66

Reaction score
I just ordered my replacement brackets from Bronco Grave Yard.

In the mean time, i cut and welded a plate to both the front and the back to support the arm and keep it from moving too much. I put a couple of used bushings on the arm to allow for some give, and then welded the plates on either side of the bracket. All things considered, for a quick fix until my brackets arrive it actually seems to handle as good- if not better then it did before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23