What Rear End Locker Do I Need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian

Reaction score
I might have to rebuild my rear end to get rid of a vibration.I have a 3.55 non locking rear end now.I was think of a Detroit locker from Jeff's.I live on a dirt road in the Catskill Mts. of NY. I'm in 4 wheel drive at least twice a day and all the time in the winter.I use the Bronco mostly on the road pulling my boat to the water,but I plow snow.Is this the locker I need? How hard is it to rebuild a rear end?Thanks Brian

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
The Detrot Locker is the best by all means. but ain't stree friendly in bad weather Ie rain, snow and Ice. If you can afford it a selcetable locker would be the best choice where you'd have LS until you flip a switch then your full locked. Detrot, ARB and eaton all make good brands of these style lockers but are $$$. But one good thing about the ARB you'll gain on board air with it.

OP
OP
B

Brian

Reaction score
ShadowD I got it on page 27 of Jeff's 80-96 paper catalog.How hard is this thing to install?Shimming and setting the gear lash can't be that hard, can it? Thanks Brian

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
Rebuilding the rear is not hard at all, but if you want it to last past the end of the driveway, it has to be setup up correctly. Depending on the carrier, this could be complicated, and may require tools most of us don't have$$$$$.

My suggestion would be....If you are gonna spend $500 on a split rear, Let a pro set it up.

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
IMO, I'd go with what sweep said. If you've never did a Diff. before let a pro do it. one wrong doing will trash a 600 piece in a heart beat. See if whoever installs it will allow you to set-in on it so you can learn it.

OP
OP
B

Brian

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this vibration is coming from the rear or not. And I hate to spend the money on the rear if it's some thing else.On the other hand a "2 wheel drive" Bronco ain't much use to me. I think I need a real mechanic. Thanks Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula