What Gear Ratio Is This Axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letrain

Reaction score
i'm currently hunting junk yards for a new axle, now i know the front and rear axles have to be the same gear ratio. how do i know what thier gear ratio is? i dont think it says it on it...or does it? also i'm looking at many axles, not just the "stock bronco rear end" i found a full floating 1 ton rear end :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and i'm currently searching for a solid one ton axle for the front, but i can't be sure their the same ratio if thier not out of the same truck. any help would be appreciated!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Most axles will have a metal I.D. tag bolted to the inspection plate or differential carrier bolts with the ratio and axle type/# stamped on it. If the tag is broken or missing, the ratio should be stamped on one of the gears inside when you remove the cover. The shape of the cover and the number of bolts can help with ID, too. You don't need the exact same numerical ratio front and rear, just get them very close. Like 4.10 will work with 4.11, if you have different types of axles for the front and rear. THere's some helpful sites on the internet if you need more details. Try doing a search for Dana 60 or GM 14bolt, for example.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23