What do you guys think about this camshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motoxscott

Reaction score
What do you guys think about this camshaft? Is there anything I should be concerned with or wont work for my '95 Bronco 5.8L MAF?

Comp Cams

Grind: FW XE266HR-12

Part#: 35-514-8

Gross Valve Lift: 0.544/0.555

Duration: 266/274

Duration at .05: 216/224

Lobe Seperation: 112

Heres what I plan on setting the motor up with: Bassani headers & y-pipe with NO cats, Edelbrock truck EFI manifold, BBK 61mm twin throttle body, all emission stuff (egr,smog pump, etc) removed, the ECU reprogrammed and dyno tested by a reputable shop.

I'm using this on the street and offroad, but want to cater more to the offroad setup.

Thanks in advance.

- Scott

bidibronco

Reaction score
I don't think that your valve springs will hold that big of a lift. I want to say that my old springs bottomed out at or around just .500 so I went with some that bottomed out at .512 so I could run my 1.7 roller rockers. I'm also not sure if there is a manifold for the EFI that doesn't have the EGR on it but I can't swear to that. Seems like it's a decent cam with either 1500 or 2000 RPM start range? I didn't look it up. But if it is a 2000RPM cam you may want to look at getting a little stall on your torqe converter for your tranny or you may not get what you want out of it. All in all though, sounds like you're getting-r-done! Let us know.

2NDTOUR89

Reaction score
That is a big cam for a stock torque converter and push in valve studs.. Maybe upgrade those two and you may not have trouble with them...

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well it *looks* like it should work, like the other guys I'd wonder about the lift but your builder should be able to tell you for sure on that one. It works w/Mass Air & you're planning on using a larger throttle body so I'd say you're cool.

Gotta ask though, is there any particular *reason* you're yanking all the emmissions ? Granted it represents a fair ammount of plumbing but it's really not costing you any ponies. The parasitic drag of an *air pump* is pretty damn low, all that stuff combined is probably costing you less thn 3hp. I'll admit there's something to be said for having a streamlined setup and minimizing the number of parts you have and while I sure don't want to sound like your Dad (I do enuf of that here at home) I honestly think there's an arguement to be made for taking a little responsibility for what we do. Maybe everyone thinks I'm full of $hit but I really do think the day is coming when vehicle modifications will simply be flat-out illegal & the entire aftermarket industry will go away. Just about everyone else out there who *doesn't* run a modified vehicle blames every hot rod & lifted truck they see for the stories they keep seeing on CNN about pollution & global warming. Now you may or may not remember but back in the 80's the entire lift-kit industry almost went belly-up because lifted trucks were being blamed for causing injuries & deaths in accidents. That's when most of the lift-laws were enacted and you can bet that SEMA dropped some serious coin on lobbyists to stay afloat. If the National perception of off-roaders is that we're all ripping off our emmissions gear and screwing up the air for everyone *else* then you can be sure they'll strike at the heart of the matter and hammer the manufacturers. California exports enuf wierdness to the rest of us as it is now, if everyone keeps this up nobody will be able to buy a part without a CARB number and they won't be handing out very many of *those*. I've seen countless magazine articles demonstrating that you can make more power than your drivetrain can handle and still keep your emissions hardware intact.

Plenty of guys here have done the same thing, but a lot of them also have trail-only rigs that they tow to the trailhead with

emissions-legal trucks.

Ok, getting down off my soapbox now. Apologies to everyone for the rant. Getting back to the topic at hand, once again, it looks like a fine cam for what you want to do with it but I'd just double ck with the shop that's going to do the work. Better still, order the cam thru *them* so there's never any question about it. It's always a good idea to go over your list of parts with the guys who will be assembling it & if you're doing your own assembly I'd still take the time to talk to a shop that builds a lot of Fords. I know it's always cheaper to buy from an online parts supplier but it can often be worth the few extra bux you pay to order it all thru a local builder who can go over your list and give you the green light. He's probably built a thousand variations on the theme and can tell you off the top of his head if it will work or not. It sure beats assembling everything just to gage it with clay & SEE if it will work. I've *done* that and it just sucks the fun right out of building your own engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

motoxscott

Reaction score
So should I look for something similar with gross lift under .500 or just change the valve springs if they are available??

In regards to the EGR I'm gonna block the port in the manifold and then block the header port.

My main reason to remove all the SMOG equipment has nothing to do with gaining power, but to clean up the engine compartment and gain room and simplify the engine configuration. For the most part I'm building this for dirt only but will drive it on the street too.

Plans are to put aftermarket heads on down the road among a million other things ... haha

Camshafts are new to me so thanks for the help so far.

- Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

bidibronco

Reaction score
If you're dead set on it then get it. I have the equivilant to the edlebrock performer plus camshaft with my edlebrock performer intake and twin 56mm throttle body and it'll outrun my 94 V8 t-bird and that'll nose up with my buddy's 00 grand prix GTP (the supercharged one, you know). I know I don't have a "race car" but she'll deffinatly move when she needs to. Damn HRT busses like to hog the roads so I like to be able to get so I don't get hit by thoes ass holes. But, with that big of a lift I would get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator just incase it needs more fuel to run a huge lift. Your lobe sep seems like it'll work just fine as does your duration. Those aren't much diff. than mine but your lift is the only thing I would be concerned about since you may bottom out your springs. Get new springs and valves and ****, throw on some roller rockes too and you'll be set!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls