What Diff Gears For 37" tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednek

Reaction score
Hey i've got flashy 1992 Eddie Bauer Bronco. it has 3.73 gears in it now. I think thats were im loosing take-off power. I drive 15 miles to school and sayyyy 10 miles around town (with friends) then 15 miles back to school. Ill go mudding sayyy every other weekend or so. I'm wanting to know what gears I need to get if i want to have good power on the road and in the mud.

so im mainly a road rider. but i still want power in the mud. SO WHAT GEARS DO YOU GUYS SIGGEST I NEED? 4.56? 4.10?

OR LEAVE THE SAME. <- (THATS NOW WHERE YOUR LOOSING POWER)

Well^?

Also another question: My idle is fine now in "Drive" but in reverse i get down to like 200RPM then it bumps back up to like 600RPM then it goes back down and dies. (it might go up and down more on a good day)

why^? ^^^^ just get a idle adjustment. (i dont know how to adjust EFI idle adjustment.

Please reply. all replies are greatly appriciated.!

Thanks Alot,

Rednek

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Also another question: My idle is fine now in "Drive" but in reverse i get down to like 200RPM then it bumps back up to like 600RPM then it goes back down and dies. (it might go up and down more on a good day)why^? ^^^^ just get a idle adjustment. (i dont know how to adjust EFI idle adjustment.

Please reply. all replies are greatly appriciated.!

Thanks Alot,

Rednek
On your last post you were bringing it to FORD for a tuneup, headgasket replacement, to get an idle adjustment, and to top off all fluids.

I suggested that you do some troubleshooting before hand, and then discuss with them what they would recommend.

My guess is that you got a reality check when they gave you a cost estimate for them to do all the work.

So here you go, a surging or rolling idle could be caused by a number of things, the most likely are the following three.

vacuum leaks

IAC Idle Air Control valve

TPS throttle position sensor.

If your vacuum hoses look craked or dry rotted replace them.

IF they slip off real easy, replace them

if you hear a leak... replace them.

For your IAC and/or TPS There are testing instructions in a $20 Haynes manual for your truck. IT will require the use of a digital volt meter.

OR you can pull DTC's Diagnostic Trouble Codes for free, all you need is a short piece of wire and the ability to count to ten.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Your computer monitors the functioning of your engine and its sensors, and will set DTCs for you to retrieve.

WHy don't you pull codes and let us know what you come up with?

Even if your Check engine light is NOT on, check for codes.

I found a great article on how to test for codes.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/files/self_test.pdf

This will be of particular interest to those with 1984 through 1988 models, but is also excellent for those up to the 1995 models.

With an '88 the only tools you will need to check for codes is a short jumper wire, and a cheap volt meter.

Here are the connectors that you will find by the driver's wheel well, that you will jump with the jumper.

JumperWire.jpg SelfTestConnector3.jpg SelfTestConnector4.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23