What Catalytic Converter Should I Get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whonea

Reaction score
I'm not the gearhead most of yall seem to be, but I need to replace the cat, muffler and tailpipes in my '90 Bronc with a 300.

Trouble is, I see so many different types out there, I'm having trouble knowing what to get! I guess I just need to know what size inlet to get, anywhere from 2-3 I guess.

Little help? :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

4xfan78

Reaction score
You need to mesure the pipe coming from the engine to determine what size you need. I would guess that it would be a 2", but you need to check to be sure.

OP
OP
W

Whonea

Reaction score
I'm so confused here... The cat has two pipes going into it, and all the ones I can find around here have only one inlet. Further, all the ones with 2" inlets have a maximum engine size of 4.0L, and mine's a 4.9.

Geez, all I need to do is pass inspection! :lol:

OP
OP
W

Whonea

Reaction score
I guess I just need a thorough lesson in how the exhaust system works. I see round mufflers, oval mufflers, single and dual chamber mufflers, dual and single outlet mufflers, and about a zillion types of cats, all of which range in price from 50 to 200 bucks.

I'm pretty lost. [-o<

chuckles1856

Reaction score
So I have a '91 w/351 and it had two cat's on it. It wouldn't pass emissions about a month ago. I got a complete exhaust system all the way back from the manifold and they replaced the 2 cats with one. The trick that the shop did was make a

y-pipe that takes the two pipes from each manifold in but only has one going out. Then they put the one going out to the cat.

So I guess, on my truck I have a cat that has only one inlet. Also, the guy at the shop told me the usual size is a 2 1/4 inch.

chuckles1856

Reaction score
Also, I priced cat's for the Bronco online for about $250. The shop where I took it would have charged me $400 to put on the cat.

Hope it helps.

4xfan78

Reaction score
:eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Whoa you can buy cats out of summit or jegs around $40.00.

Whonea, unless you cut all you're exhaust out from under you're truck you should be able to have the 1 cat you need either welded or bolted back to you're exhaust system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph