What brand of tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Croneybones

Reaction score
A tire question that's not about size & lift. haha

I'm in need of some new tires for my 93 Bronco.

I live in NW PA in the snowbelt. For anyone who doesn't know what a snowbelt is, let me explain. The lake (Erie) will push and fuel snow storms about 15-20 miles inland of the lake, where it proceeds to dump huge amounts of snow. So where I'm at, and on the way to work, there is a lot of really snowy and icy conditions.

The truck is my daily driver, I bought it after totaling my last car in a *brace yourself* snow related accident. It's not even been a year since, so I'm still pretty nervous driving in the snow. Buying the Bronco gives me a little peace of mind.

I've been doing a little research, and right now I'm leaning toward Interco TrXus M/T. Just about every review I read, people are raving about how good this does in the snow. On the other end of the argument, people are pulling for the BFG's.

Can I get some opinions? Reviews from people who use or have used them?

TotalChaos

Reaction score
so if you ask me i would go with the Interco tires... all of my friends have them on their Broncos and we all love them... most of us have the TSLs and use them as our mud tires but im sure they handle as well in snow as they do in mud... and i have heard nothing but good things about the tires you were looking into... as for the BFG's... i have a set of the A/T's and they seem to do ok in mud and snow but i deff prefer the Interco tires over the BFGs any day of the week...

-Chaos

shift1313

Reaction score
just remember 4x4 will only help you go, it wont help you stop. drive safe

having said that. size is going to be important. taller thinner tires will be able to cut through the deep snow and actually give you a "rudder" steer effect. Larger wider tires will try to ride on top of the snow and "float". I would try to stay away from 12.5"wide and go thinner. You dont need a huge contact surface just a good tread. I was happy with mastercraft mts in the snow and they were affordable.

BB33's

Reaction score
Ground_Hawg_Tires.JPG

The best thing to look for when searching for a good snow tire is how well it holds snow in the treads. Yes that sounds wierd but a good snow tire will grab snow on its first revolution and throw it out on the next. A tire that isn't grabbing snow is usually "floating" on the snow and that is a bad thing.

I run BFG All terrains and they work just fine in the snow. I have had the snow 2/3 rds the way up my tire and i just plowed through with no problem(except when i got out of the truck to locks the hubs them suckers were frozen). A mud Terrain is a good route to go if it is just snow your worried about but remember, most mud terrains don't offer alot of siping in the tread and they slip on wet roads because of it.

If your looking fo something to run year 'round go All terrain if the tires are on the truck only in snow season go mudder. For all terrains look at the BFG's and for mudders i like the Denman Ground Hawg II. The Denmans are actually made by Interco and are a cross between a swamper and a bogger

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Croneybones

Reaction score
Just want to add that I will most likely be running 31 x 10.5 x 15.

The Interco has lots of siping on it, and honestly, I don't know a ton about the BFG's.

In the snow, I am very passive.

Yardape

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of BFG's I run BFG mud terrains on my rig and they are awesome. They are great in mud, great on the road. Excellent in snow. In ice they arent the best but in 4 wheel drive they are very good. I live in Northern Alberta and we get extreme weather here and I drive mine without worry any time of the year. I have BFG all terrains on my Expedition and they are very good in Ice and snow.

DunesRunner08

Reaction score
I am from Buffalo originally so I know what you are talking about....BFG is a great tire but they are limited in their abilities..... aggressive Mud tires are not the route to go in the snow, they will not work as well though in theory you think they would..... Sand tires are even worse.... you want a good a/t or a mild m/t for snow..... I recommend the Interco VorTrac as the A/T or the Interco Truxus M/T not the STS ......

shift1313

Reaction score
i have run a few tires in snow(6" up to 16"). bfg all terrains, 33x12.50. they did well for traction but steering wasnt great because the tire was too wide in my mind.

Ive run mastercraft mud terrains 32x11.50 and they did well in the snow. They do much better in deep snow rather than a plowed packed road.

also bfg long trails, 30x9.50. these did a lot better than i thought they would but they pack easily and dont shed the snow off. they did well steering in the deep stuff but getting traction wasnt the best.

right now i have goodyear wrangler rts(the mts look decent) but i wouldnt recommend these for snow duty. they do okay

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Get a tire with a snowflake of the mountain approval. BFG or General Grabber AT2. We also get lake effect snow here and Ill tell you mud terrains are only good until they plow the roads, after that plan on an extreme distance for stopping and using 4x4 a lot to get started on the packed snow.

4x4mexicano

Reaction score
Personally i would go with BFG mudd terrains or all terrains. I had the mud terrains on this litttle nissan pickup I have and i have gone up and down steep mountain roads in both packed and unpacked conditions and have had no problems with them. Grant it I only get like 6 to 8 inches when it snows and thats a lot for Jersey. I know a buddy that has BFG all terrains on his truck and the work amazing. We both run 31-10.5R15.

NAGS95

Reaction score
I vote for the BFG's. I have ran them on every truck I've owned. The mud tires are awesome in the snow.....but they aren't so great on ice. I live in west Michigan...20 miles inland from Lk. Michigan and we get pounded every winter too. If your going to use them on your daily driver I think a all terrain would be a better choice...just for the fact that they are pretty good in the snow also, and a heck of allot better on the ice or packed snow. Once they plow the roads and make all that hard packed snow and ice the all terrain is the way to go!

I run mud terrains on my 95 Bronco...all terrains on my 03 F150....and all terrains on my 05 Explorer.

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
Well something a little different here, one i know we don't get a lot of snow here but i've been running Eldarodo ZR4's for quite a while...there kinda cross between at's and mt's....they have more spacing in teh tread than most at's and not as much as some mt's...They have good street manners and fairly aggressive in mud and snow...And the price aint real bad either.... B) just a thought....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23