weird noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patrick4x4

Reaction score
i have a 1996 bronco with a 5.8. and i went to the beach last week in it for the first time and ever s then when i start to drive it makes a loud like rubbing and winding noise. the noise gets louder the faster i go. i thought it was just the tires so i rotated them and now its louder and when i press on the brakes its gets even louder. it doesn't make any noise when im in neutral and i rev it, only when i moving.

any ideas???

Patrick

50joe

Reaction score
It's a possibility. Depending on what you were doing with it on the beach, sand could have got inside the hub, and will tear up the bearings in a real hurry too.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
This may sound stupid but have you checked the U joint?Usually when they start to go bad they make a squeaking noise when under a load like when you first take off,but you never know it could just be on its way out....If not then going by what your saying with hitting the brakes then it could just happen to be the rear brakes...Nothing the beach or anything had to do with it,it just happens to be the right timing for them to get metal to metal..I just went back an re-read what you wrote,and you said you checked the brakes,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

50joe

Reaction score
Just for the **** of it you can jack up the rear and check for up/down play in the rear axles. (lil in/out is normal). I check patrol cars regularly for that, and when i find it, the bearings are always shot. Unfortunately, so is the axle. they never mention noises till its WAY too late, but that could very well be the case.

OP
OP
P

patrick4x4

Reaction score
ill check the u joint and ill jack up the rear and look but my nighbor said it could be my differential

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
it very well could be your rear diff i have takin mine apart many times and if anything like sand or anything gets in them it will make a loud noise or it could be in your rear drum atleast thats how it would seem since its only makin a noise when in motion is there any kinda vibration while drivin

OP
OP
P

patrick4x4

Reaction score
it very well could be your rear diff i have takin mine apart many times and if anything like sand or anything gets in them it will make a loud noise or it could be in your rear drum atleast thats how it would seem since its only makin a noise when in motion is there any kinda vibration while drivin

just a little bit but you really have to pay attention to notice it

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
just a little bit but you really have to pay attention to notice it
im goin to go with the u joints as well whenever they go out it makes the driveshaft bounce around alot so u might want to check those. i know u said u checked ur brakes but did u take ur drums apart? if so then what i would is jack up the rear end put the truck in neutral then spin the back tires slowly and see if i could find the sound that way.

89eddie89

Reaction score
my bronco makes a squeaking noise when im coasting and sometimes when im accelerating, but whenever i touch the brakes it goes away. would that be the brake pads? or what other possiblity could it be? cause i just recently got my brakes checked.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
my bronco makes a squeaking noise when im coasting and sometimes when im accelerating, but whenever i touch the brakes it goes away. would that be the brake pads? or what other possiblity could it be? cause i just recently got my brakes checked.
That sounds just like a U joint,better check em out or grease them before your on the side of the road. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Reaction score
Jack the rear end up, and start rotating those rear wheels as fast as you can with the tranny in neutral. If you hear sound, disconnect the drive line and do it again. If it's gone, just buy new u-joints, ***** greasin em cuz they're really cheap and you'll have many years till you gotta worry bout em, though I'd still grease em occassionally after they're new cuz guarantee the previous owner(s) never did it for your current ones so who knows what happened there. Might just do it anyways. Greasable, strong, Ujoints for both drive lines are $60 from Napa and worth their weight in gold. Bearings were like $30 for the front and $60 for the rears (went for the sealed bearings on that one). When replacing bearings, or ujoints, always do both sides, i.e. left and right or front and rear.

If no sounds at all from the rear, jack up your front, and do the same to the front wheels. Try locking in one at a time as well. This should help identify if it's the front. If with the drive line connected and locked it makes sounds go for the ujoints. If not locked and it makes sounds, replace your bearings. They're easy! and grease em up really really good. Hand packing is a great way because typically you'll get a more thorough job. Pull the brake dust shield off too. I've found sand and rocks stuck in those vent holes and in between the shield and rotors causing terrible sounds, like banshees from ****.

If it looks to be the rear axle, those bearing **** to replace but it can be done. Inspect the gears of your diff and the oil from there too, make sure there are no shavings. Also might want to visually check your axle to make sure there is no sag to it, cuz it might be bent which will split your differential and carrier into all sorts of pieces in ttime. If you see any strange wear, chips, warping on the carrier or gears, you're definitely looking at a new diff.

If you buy a new axle, save your old axle shafts. I bought a new one and my rim got stuck on a center cap, had to beat the crap outta that thing with a 40lbs bar bell. Used the old ones and my axle works great. Don't automatically swap them out either, try the new ones and if the tires slide on easy, you're good to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23