Vacuum diagrams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yep. Here's a pic. I hope its legible.This is the sticker that is next to the hood latch on my truck.

View attachment 7123
If you look at the diagram, you will find that it is laid out just like the devices are arranged in the engine compartment.

this one is laid out left to right = front to back of the engine compartment. Top to bottom = passenger side to driver side. The top left device is the carbon canister which is usually mounted on the frame rail or a bracket next to the battery. I should have one line coming from the gas tank. that line has two functions, 1. It allows your tank to equalize pressure as the air temperature changes. 2. it collects evaporative fumes from the tank and carb fuel bowl and then feeds them into the carb when your engine is started, (controlled by the CPRV, TVV, SV-CBV).

The next function you see to the right of that is the Vacuum Reservoir which is for your vacuum operated air controls. From the look of your other pictures is properly hooked up (as long as the tank is not rusted out it should be working just fine).

Next to that is a line for the MAP sensor, vacuum line running direct to the main vacuum tree.

Next you have the thermactor controls, Two vacuum solenoids controlled by input from a computer.

Then the PCV which goes direct to the intake manifold.

Moving down to the A/CL DV that is the air control to where air is supplied to the air cleaner compartment, the VRDV is a black and white (about an inch long by 3/4 in diameter plastic device that hooks to main vacuum tree (same direction as the colors shown on the diagram), it keeps fuel from migrating into the vacuum system). It hooks to the A/CL Bi met, a device on the bottom of the air cleaner an then to the main vacuum.

In one of your pictures you have a picture of the carb with bellows like device, that hooks direct to main vacuum as shown in the diagram.

The bottom line is the three vacuum controls operated by the computer that are mounted on the driver side valve cover.

There is more detail if you need it.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
Yeah, I was trying to follow them all as they were laid out, but somewhere I got mixed up on the 3 vacuum controls on the drivers side valve cover.

Also, what is a VOTM? I still haven't found that one.

I didn't think an '82 really had a computer?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yeah, I was trying to follow them all as they were laid out, but somewhere I got mixed up on the 3 vacuum controls on the drivers side valve cover.Also, what is a VOTM? I still haven't found that one.

I didn't think an '82 really had a computer?
Most 82s did not unless they originated in California, you will find that in your EVTM (where they say California only) at the top of the page. The 82 in this case had a basic computer to run the vacuum solenoids. They are the devices called SOL V in the diagram.

The VOTM (Vacuum Operated Throttle Module) is or was located on the linkage side of the carb and under various conditions prevents the linkage from closing the throttle plates too fast, (like on sudden panic stops or the A/C on) so the engine will not stall under these conditions.

The SOL Vs at the top of the diagram do the control of the Thermactor. In the EVTM they are called TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) and TAD (Thermactor Air Direction, (air to the intake or Cat depending on engine running conditions)).

Depending on where you are located you may or may not need everything in the diagram. Keep in mind that some of these devices may be bad and the last owner got his/her engine to run by eliminating the function. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
There aren't any emissions where I am right now, so I am thinking unless it is critical to make the engine run, I will be plugging it up due to not knowing if the component is bad or not and the fact that I will only be using this truck for mainly around the ranch, very little highway driving (as of right now).

I know I need vacuum for the distributor, brakes, carb, and transmission. I also need vacuum for the AC/Heater functions. But haven't totally figured out how all that ties in together yet...

The EVTM looks like it will be really helpful in figuring out some of the unconnected wires under the dash and in the engine compartment.

like THIS one - if I am reading it right, it is the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor)

post-10695-1214271751.jpg

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Sorry Matt, I don't know what that is, but in looking at your pictures, it appears that you have a duraspark II ignition, in that you have a plugged vacuum advance at your distributor. I don't think they put a crankshaft position sensor in, until they went to the Duraspark III system.

BTW... unless the vacuum diaphram is broken in that advance, I would reconnect vacuum to that first off!

You should be able to put a vacuum hose to it, and **** on it and see the little actuator coming out of the other side of it move. That as the name implies advances the timing with an increase in vacuum like when the engine is under load, or accellerating. One can run without it, but there will be a dogginess to the engine. It will have power, once the RPMs are up to where they should be, (because the centrifugal advance will (should) be working.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Sorry Matt, I don't know what that is, but in looking at your pictures, it appears that you have a duraspark II ignition, in that you have a plugged vacuum advance at your distributor. I don't think they put a crankshaft position sensor in, until they went to the Duraspark III system.
Hmm... Ok. Back to the diagrams on that one then.. LOL

BTW... unless the vacuum diaphram is broken in that advance, I would reconnect vacuum to that first off!
The advance has always been connected to the 'spark port' on the base of the carb... I think thats the right place.

You should be able to put a vacuum hose to it, and **** on it and see the little actuator coming out of the other side of it move. That as the name implies advances the timing with an increase in vacuum like when the engine is under load, or accellerating. One can run without it, but there will be a dogginess to the engine. It will have power, once the RPMs are up to where they should be, (because the centrifugal advance will (should) be working.
I'm guessing I take the cap off the dizzy first to see that?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Hmm... Ok. Back to the diagrams on that one then.. LOL

The advance has always been connected to the 'spark port' on the base of the carb... I think thats the right place.

I'm guessing I take the cap off the dizzy first to see that?
LOL... this is really the blind leading the blind.

Spark port sounds good to me lol...

If the engine is running, you can just goose the engine, and you should see the actuator move. If your design is such that you can not see the actuator, then yes, if you pull the cap, then you should be able to see it.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
First, Thanks! The vacuum advance is BAD on the dizzy. I'm sure that would explain the hesitation and stalling when you mash the gas. I will replace that soon.

I am still researching the other missing and unknowns on the engine... a lot of it still doesn't match up with the EVTM.

The EVTM does mention a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor)... I just haven't figured out where it connects to...

Still trying to figure out how to read the EVTM too.. it is good, labels all the connectors and such, it would be nice if they were labeled the same way on the Bronco.. LOL

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Here's a scan from the EVTM...

TOP_RH_Side_of_5.0_and_5.8_Engine_with_EEC.pdf

Sorry it is sideways, I dont know how to get it rotated and saved yet.

Anyway I dont have the Carb Actuator stepper motor on mine or the Throttle Position Sensor (that I can find)

kind of frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ligon

Reaction score
Talkin about vacuum lines, can anybody tell me what all vacuum lines I will need present on a 351w that has the smog emissions stuff yanked off. Got a lot of hoses and don't know what they are for. I've also tried reading manuals and stuff and I get lost. :unsure: Thanks.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Ligon,

I know the feeling. I've got the EVTM and the Chiltons AND the vac. diagram under the hood... and I still get lost.

How about posting some information about your truck in your signature, year model, engine, mods, etc. and maybe even your location. It helps people help you without having to ask questions about what you have.

Oh, and good luck with your vacuum stuff... I'm still workin' on mine.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
I figured out why I couldn't trace all the vacuum hoses out as the diagram shows... I'm missing the Thermactor system!

Maybe thats what the plug went to?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23