Vacuum diagrams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been sitting and staring at a vacuum diagram for my 351 for about the last hour... and I dont think I am any closer to figuring out these hoses than I was before I opened the Chiltons book... first problem is that it jumps from a 1981 351 to a 1983... so I just looked at the 81 model diagram.

What kind of degree do you need to read these things? I kept looking at the one that went from the distributor vac. advance to the carb...but according to the diagram there are all sorts of valves, etc there... I think? and not even sure if its supposed to go to the carb now.

I'm pretty much out of my budget this month for buying parts, so I figured I would work on electrical and vacuum hoses... but I'm confused! :huh:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Hey Matt,

I'm not sure if I can help, but is it possible for you to scan what you have and post it?

Maybe a pic of your carb and stuff, and a scan of the diagrams you have.

IF so, please scan the diagrams at a relatively high resolution.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
I'll have to see what I can do. One diagram is in the Chiltons manual, the other is under my hood. Both are hard to understand for me.

I'll try to take a picture or two of what I have under the hood and 'point' out with a photo editor what I am talking about. Might take me a little bit...

Seabronc

Reaction score
I'll have to see what I can do. One diagram is in the Chiltons manual, the other is under my hood. Both are hard to understand for me.I'll try to take a picture or two of what I have under the hood and 'point' out with a photo editor what I am talking about. Might take me a little bit...
That would be the thing to do. The Chilton's is just an example, the actual one for your truck is year, engine and sometimes specific to the region it was originally sold in. The functions are color coded and it is actually easy to follow once you understand the diagram layout.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Ok... bear with me. These are the photos that I managed to snap, and I know they aren't very descriptive...

This one is just kind of an overview of some of the ones I THINK I found where they went or were existing...

vacuum_lines.JPG

Here's a couple of '*******' that don't have any lines. And what are these sensors that are plugged?

more_vacuum_lines.JPG

More sensors on the other valve cover

more_vacuum_lines_2.JPG

From the Distributor to the side of the carb.. is this how its supposed to be?

vac_hose_dist_to_carb.JPG

And I know these aren't vacuum hoses, but can you identify these loose wires with plugs?

whats_this_plug.JPG

whats_this_plug_2.JPG

whats_this_plug_3.JPG

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Matt,

I wish I could help more.

Can you get a pic of your vacuum diagram up for us to look at?

Here is a vid on that if you look it in high quality resolution, you may find it useful as a little bit of a reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Yep. Here's a pic. I hope its legible.

This is the sticker that is next to the hood latch on my truck.

IM002054_mod_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Your engine looks alot like mine used too. I took everything out that i could involvin vaccum lines and electrical. If you dont have to have emissions on it up there i would take all the emissions contol off and everything that goes with it and plug up or reroute what you have too. That what i did on my 86, its alot cleaner and easier to work on now it just takes time and look closly at what you do.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Your engine looks alot like mine used too. I took everything out that i could involvin vaccum lines and electrical. If you dont have to have emissions on it up there i would take all the emissions contol off and everything that goes with it and plug up or reroute what you have too. That what i did on my 86, its alot cleaner and easier to work on now it just takes time and look closly at what you do.
Yep. I would do that too but I don't know what it NEEDS to run and what it doesn't.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Yep. I would do that too but I don't know what it NEEDS to run and what it doesn't.
I think you are going to need someone who has an operational engine like yours, have them send you some detailed pics.

Perhaps you can go to some car shows, and get lucky.

Here are the few answers I can give you.

more_vacuum_lines.jpg

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Thanks Joe,

I knew the electric choke wasn't connected, I just haven't found the right wire that is supposed to go there yet.

Whenever I put a vacuum hose (with suction) on the EGR it killed the engine.

I dont think the middle hose is cracked, its a ridge on the outside that makes it look that way in the pic.

I've found someone with a Bronco (same body style) but dont know if it has the 302 or 351 yet. or the year model. Hope to find out soon.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Yes it will help out a lot if most of the vacuum locations are the same on an 82 351 and a 77 302? From the looks of it they are, so at least it will give me a good starting reference.

Where'd you find that?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

All I can say is, when you are good to people, other people are good to you.

A certain amount of credit has to go to miesk5

I am glad that it may be helpful.

Hopefully my next topic will be more helpful... watch for it.

joe

desert4wheeling

Reaction score
I HIGHLY recommend getting the EVTM for your year of bronco. Theres no better resource for tracking vehicle specific wires and vacuum lines. Im sure most anyone else who has one would agree. I got mine off e-bay. Just my two cents anyway.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
I've been checking.. just haven't seen an 82 on there yet.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Found an 82 EVTM on ebay, so I got it... now just waiting for it to get here.

Hopefully it will help me out with all this mess.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Whenever I put a vacuum hose (with suction) on the EGR it killed the engine.
The EGR requires controlled vacuum not a direct hookup. It is not supposed to function at all times. Your engine can get along just fine without it. The electric choke, on a stock Ford engine hooks to the alternator stator post which is 7 Volts. Do not hook it to 12 Volts it will burn up, ( a Ford better idea). If it is not the stock carb, then usually 12 Volts is the thing for it, however it must be a switched 12 Volts (not hot at all times, only when the key is on).

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Got the EVTM today. Wasn't really what I expected, but I hope after I sit down and really 'read' it maybe it will help me out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22