Uphill maxing out at 35mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeBronc

Reaction score
Getting cold up here in Fairbanks and the drivetrain is starting to get louder and causing vibrations. It’s handling higher gears well but it’s taking a lot of work to get uphill. the pedal, steering wheel and truck altogether start shaking/vibrating when i start climbing. Kind of like going over a rumble strip is how it acts. Other than that, sometimes I’m noticing a light knocking sound when accelerating in lower gears after driving for a while. There were metal flakes in my transfer case fluid not too long ago. I have More evidence if there are any questions. Just Wondering what’s happening

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo 96broncorojo,
E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is the LED with an overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
The transmission control switch is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650). The powertrain control module then energizes the transmission control indicator lamp and the coast clutch solenoid, applying the coast clutch to provide engine braking and cancels fourth gear operation; does it cause the lamp to glow?
The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on), electronic pressure control circuit shorted or monitored sensor failure (lamp flashing).

See Table 12 for No Diagnostic Trouble Codes;
Screenshot_20200510-115405.jpg

IggievScope for now to save$
Quick Test is the Diagnostic Trouble Codes Test

OP
OP
LeBronc

LeBronc

Reaction score
I am able to properly cancel overdrive, and the OFF lamp on the shifter glows orange and does not flash. So I guess I’m not getting a bad reading there

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I am able to properly cancel overdrive, and the OFF lamp on the shifter glows orange and does not flash. So I guess I’m not getting a bad reading there
Yo,
Right!
The PCM will turn on the TCIL to indicate that the overdrive cancel mode has been selected.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you able to shift from 4 hi to 4 lo and back?

Hard to tell but from your description it could be drivetrain or an engine miss.

OP
OP
LeBronc

LeBronc

Reaction score
I don’t think I can go into low. I have ESOF and the low light doesn’t come on

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
The overdrive should handle city driving just fine. If it doesn't then it was in need of rebuild anyway.

Shutting off the overdrive in town doesn't hurt anything except fuel mileage. It really is just a personal choice.

On my diesel I shut it off to make it more responsive, on my gas I leave it on all the time.

pltommyo

Reaction score
It could be your torque converter is not unlocking under load. If so, it could be caused by low fluid levels, filter dropped out and not getting fluid drawn up, bad torque converter, electronics not signaling to unlock, or electronics not responding to unlock command.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo 96,
E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is the LED with an overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk;
a flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Have it tested for Diagnostic Trouble Codes at local parts stores.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo 96,
E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is the LED with an overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk;
a flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Have it tested for Diagnostic Trouble Codes at local parts stores.
What if you take it to the parts store. They hook it up and can,nt get no lighting--codes or anything? I,m beging to think they don,t know how to check it or hook it up.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
What if you take it to the parts store. They hook it up and can,nt get no lighting--codes or anything? I,m beging to think they don,t know how to check it or hook it up.
Also Mike, what is a good brand would you recomend for this gauge. So I can get one and learn myself and the cost?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Johnny,
FOR OBD II 1996 Broncos, ETC
AVOID Auto Zone!
GO TO:
NAPA @ https://www.napaautopro.com/en/auto-repairs-and-diagnostics/check-engine-light/

ADVANCE AUTO @ https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/storeservices

Firestone @ https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/repair/engine-repair/diagnostics/

AAMCO @ https://www.aamco.com/Transmission-Services/Inspection-Diagnostics

Pep Boys @ https://www.pepboys.com/auto-service-repair/engine-performance

For other year EEC IV Broncos try a local mom and pop parts stores.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yes, I went to Advance Auto. They are afriad to hire someone with experience. Afraid they might have to pay someone extra. The nearstest NAPA is about 40 miles away,but sometimes I go into Webster Springs and I ,ll stop in and check it out. Thanks Mike. I,ll also check on these electronic gadgets and see what I can find out. Again. That Going out to make me a battery hold down. Hope to try out the bronco today.Again-THANKS !

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke