Turn signal problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddie96bronco

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 96 Eddie Bauer. The right turn signal works occasionally, this means when its not working none of the exterior lights work as well as the dash. There is very light play in the column lever. I'm not much a mechanic, but would like to minimize some of my repair cost if I can. Can anyone tell me what may be causing this and is it something a novice can handle.

thanks in advance

JLasvegas

Reaction score
turn signal switch is probably shot and will need to be replaced

when mine went out it took my brake lights with it.

vincendebbie

vincendebbie
Reaction score
turn signal switch is probably shot and will need to be replacedwhen mine went out it took my brake lights with it.
If you have a tilt wheel then it is probably your multifunction switch. This is the switch on the left that controls the wipers, blinkers and bright/dim head lights. Ford has had a long running problem with the two plugs on the back of this switch becoming loose. Some of the pins that are supose to be plugged in back out on their own. The way we fix them at Ford is to wire in a new pig tail plug, but the easier and more cost effective is to simply removed the plastic covering the column and unplug the two connectors. Once unplugged push all of the pins back into the connector and hold them in place with electrical tape by wraping the wires. Next plug them back into the multifunction switch and test. That will usually clear the problem. If for some reason you are still having troubles let me know. I can sell you a multifunction swith for about half what you can buy it for from Ford. Let me know how this works for you. --Vince

JLasvegas

Reaction score
If you have a tilt wheel then it is probably your multifunction switch. This is the switch on the left that controls the wipers, blinkers and bright/dim head lights. Ford has had a long running problem with the two plugs on the back of this switch becoming loose. Some of the pins that are supose to be plugged in back out on their own. The way we fix them at Ford is to wire in a new pig tail plug, but the easier and more cost effective is to simply removed the plastic covering the column and unplug the two connectors. Once unplugged push all of the pins back into the connector and hold them in place with electrical tape by wraping the wires. Next plug them back into the multifunction switch and test. That will usually clear the problem. If for some reason you are still having troubles let me know. I can sell you a multifunction swith for about half what you can buy it for from Ford. Let me know how this works for you. --Vince
on an 85 we dont have all those gadgets lol

I replaced the column with a rebuilt non tilt one

vincendebbie

vincendebbie
Reaction score
I was sleeping when I responded, LOL.

It is probably in the switch still because all of the lights such as brake,

marker and running, go through it. --Vince

boss

Reaction score
Should be fairly easy. Check with JLasvegas on the difficulty of that year. I am not very familiar with those.92 and up I know is a breeze. --Vince

Here you go.

My signal switch had developed some play in it resulting in my wipers not responding with out a wiggle of the lever and I lost the front signal lights and the signal in my mirrors.

Start by removing the tilt wheel lever, it unscrews.

dsc00346.jpg

Next removing the cover, there are 4 phillips type screws to remove, 3 of which are access on the bottom

dsc00345.jpg

The forth one is locked on the back right, you can see the ***** hole better in this picture.

dsc00354.jpg

You'll need to remove the ignition tumbler, while pushing on the release bearing turn the key to the run position, this will release the tumbler and it will slide right out.

dsc00347.jpg

dsc00357.jpg

dsc00348.jpg

Slide the top cover up and over the gear selector.

dsc00355.jpg

Now remove the 2 torx screws that hold the switch in place and disconnect the 2 wire harness on the back of it.

dsc00350.jpg

dsc00352.jpg

New Switch on the left, and the old one on the right.

dsc00351.jpg

Now test your lights and wipers.

dsc00353.jpg

Install in reverse and your done.

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
i've got an 84 and i'm having a similar problem. exept when i turn off my truck one or both tail lights come on. the other issue is that the passenger side front turn signal doesent work. i just put a new bulb in it and still nothing. could these symptoms also be that signal switch ya'll are talking about?

OP
OP
E

eddie96bronco

Reaction score
Vince, thanks so much for all that detail, you sure made it easy to follow. Better than any chilton manual :wacko: I'll order the new switch tomorrow. Again thanks for your help.......ed

JLasvegas

Reaction score
i've got an 84 and i'm having a similar problem. exept when i turn off my truck one or both tail lights come on. the other issue is that the passenger side front turn signal doesent work. i just put a new bulb in it and still nothing. could these symptoms also be that signal switch ya'll are talking about?
Its either your switch or a short somewhere, try and wiggle the turn signal arm and see if it makes any difference

wow seeing that photo step by step was awesome, sure is alot easier than our older models lol

boss

Reaction score
Vince, thanks so much for all that detail, you sure made it easy to follow. Better than any chilton manual :wacko: I'll order the new switch tomorrow. Again thanks for your help.......ed

Vince?

vincendebbie

vincendebbie
Reaction score
We know it was u boss, you know how it is when you are between working on the truck and trying to keep all this in line. If I would have known it was similar to our style I could have done the same thing for him. I just put a new steering column in mine and had it all apart.

walnuts75

Reaction score
Did anybody suggest the flasher unit thingy that is located in the fusebox under the dash? (its the circular metal fuse type thing that clicks as the signal goes on and off) It is only a $2 part and you can get them at autozone or advanced auto. I would start there since it is the cheapest and easiest thing to do. My tun signals went out and all I did was replace that part. There is a thread about it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23