Turbo Charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big timer

Reaction score
WOw It sure has been a while since i have logged on, but here is my question:

Can I buy a turbo charger for an 89 bronco with a 351 efi?

Bronc Buster

Reaction score
Um turbos are not only for high revving engines, it has allot to do with displacement i.e. 3208 caterpillar diesel. it revs up to 2880 rpms and creates full boost at 1500 which is about 60% of the powerband. Turbos add power that wasnt there supers multiply the power that is already there. the super charger is is better on a v8 because your not gonna loose that much power from the supercharger being turned by the engine + it will give you lowend power .turbo will have lag and need to spool up.

88pimpin

Postwhore, Pimpin Ain't Easy
Reaction score
Would one out of an F-series pickup work? I know one of my old bosses has an F-350 Turbo Diesel. Maybe you could find one out of a wrecked truck and put that in. superchargers are pre-combustion and turbochargers are post-combustion, so it doesn't really have to do with whether it's diesel or gasoline, does it?

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
It does, because some turbos work best on a different engine size, how well it flows, and how strong it's built. A turbo from a PSD, I would guess, would be too much for the 302 or 351, since it's designed for a much bigger engine, with a far higher compression ratio. Generally, a large turbo will have a longer lag time and take longer to spool up, than a small turbo. There are plenty of V8 turbo sites, to check into. Myself, I'm looking into adding a couple smaller turbos, to a 460

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23