trouble shooting the oil pressure gauge...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

am3gross

Reaction score
i found the wire that goes to the gauge... i unpluged it and the gauge went to the far left.... 0... when i grounded it out to a bolt with a ***** driver in the end the gauge went half way up.... does this mean that the gauge is bad? if not what do i need to change to get this to work properly again? thanks for the help.... this site is the best thing that i have ever found.. it has been such a big help!

after i get this figured out my next question will be about a lifter tap that i believe i might have... but we will work on the oil pressure first! thanks to all that has helped me out so far.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Since the gauge seems to respond to resistance changes, I'd start by replacing the sender. They are notorious for going bad.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
A

am3gross

Reaction score
where is the sending unit at? is that where the wire goes into? i hope so cause that seems like an easy fix..... if that is where i change it out at will oil come out when i replace it? enough that i will have to do an oil change anyway?

OP
OP
A

am3gross

Reaction score
ok.... thanks to you guys i have fixed me oil pressure gauge! instead of just replacing the little sending unit i bought a new sun pro gauge and installed that. i figured that would rule out the gauge being bad also.... so i want to say thanks!

now for the last question about the oil pressure gauge, what is a good pressure? my gauge reads from 0-100. currently sitting in the drive running it is around 38-40... i want to know what number is normal, low, and high....

again thanks for alll the help and i am sure you will help with the many more questions that i have.... thanks broncozone!

bidibronco

Reaction score
40 is great... If you get below 10 you have a problem. If you have any issues with the oil psi dropping to 10 or so a good rule of thumb is for every 1000 rpms it should rise 10 lbs...

boss

Reaction score
ok.... thanks to you guys i have fixed me oil pressure gauge! instead of just replacing the little sending unit i bought a new sun pro gauge and installed that. i figured that would rule out the gauge being bad also.... so i want to say thanks!

now for the last question about the oil pressure gauge, what is a good pressure? my gauge reads from 0-100. currently sitting in the drive running it is around 38-40... i want to know what number is normal, low, and high....

again thanks for alll the help and i am sure you will help with the many more questions that i have.... thanks broncozone!

Just as well cause the factory gauge is a fake, as you found out - it reads 1/2 way (determined by a resistor) when grounded out as the sending unit is just a switch - on or off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23