Transmission clunk in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captsb890

Reaction score
My 89 bronco had an overhauled C6 --but now when I select reverse there is a loud clunk and up on the rack it is coming from the front----What is the problem as it never was that loud clunk before, it always had just a very little sound. It has U joints done, drive shaft rebuilt and rear differential all checked by Firestone------------they are ok

Could it be the front drive shaft--? Yoke ?? transfer case ? someone said the bands need to be tightened-?? What bands ?? where and what are they----stumped and appreciate all feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_3500[11208] auto sonics 2.JPG
    IMG_3500[11208] auto sonics 2.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 6

johnnyreb

Reaction score
My 89 bronco had an overhauled C6 --but now when I select reverse there is a loud clunk and up on the rack it is coming from the front----What is the problem as it never was that loud clunk before, it always had just a very little sound. It has U joints done, drive shaft rebuilt and rear differential all checked by Firestone------------they are ok

Could it be the front drive shaft--? Yoke ?? transfer case ? someone said the bands need to be tightened-?? What bands ?? where and what are they----stumped and appreciate all feedback.
Well everything for the transmiopn on back is new parts--eliminates that area. You never mentioned about replacing the front yokes ,universal joint or checking the front driveshaft--I,d check it. More then likely a universal joint. If they been in their along time. Take the caps off and feel around the areas where the needle bearings trave.Feel bumps? Replace them. Good luck

OP
OP
C

captsb890

Reaction score
Thanks, so being new to all this--are you saying there is a universal in the front drive shaft ? Someone said that the front only works with the transfer case in 4 wheel?? is that smoke or what ?---When you say caps off where is that located exactly----? thanks
replacing the front yokes ,universal joint or checking the front driveshaft--I,d check it. More then likely a universal joint. If they been in their along time. Take the caps off and feel around the areas where the needle bearings trave.Feel bumps? Replace them. Good luck
so there is a U joint in the front shaft-? is that correct ? I'm getting an oil change next week at brakes plus and need this advice thanks for your time.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks, so being new to all this--are you saying there is a universal in the front drive shaft ? Someone said that the front only works with the transfer case in 4 wheel?? is that smoke or what ?---When you say caps off where is that located exactly----? thanks

so there is a U joint in the front shaft-? is that correct ? I'm getting an oil change next week at brakes plus and need this advice thanks for your time.
Their is 2. Also on the back part of the front drive shaft. Their is a yoke. That has a spring with a piece in it.Can,t think of the name.They go bad. I replace all of mine and when you have it upon the rack. Twist the front drive saft and check the yokes for slack. It might just be the universals--hopefully or wear on the yokes in the sleeve part.Where they slide together.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Their is 2. Also on the back part of the front drive shaft. Their is a yoke. That has a spring with a piece in it.Can,t think of the name.They go bad. I replace all of mine and when you have it upon the rack. Twist the front drive shaft and check the yokes for slack. It might just be the universals--hopefully or wear on the yokes in the sleeve part.Where they slide together.
IF you are talking about part time 4 wheel-yes,but my brother had a 76 4x4 automatic. He took the front shaft off in the summer. To hopefully help on gas mileage. It would not move. He had to put it back in,but as I said. It was full time 4 wheel drive. The full time will have a smooth cap on the front hubs. The part time will have a small cut in.So you can turn it in 4 wheel drive. Oh Welcome to the club. Their some good people hear that will help you.

OP
OP
C

captsb890

Reaction score
Thank you--I did a lot to my 89 total new 5 coat paint, complete AC overhauled transmission the usual shocks, brakes, drive shaft, etc--I'm going to put a new 5.8 in it when I get the money--It has 202,000 on the odometer and at 125,000 valves were done---but I might sell it with the new engine as I have too many cars for me--it is a beautiful Bronco---Never an accident and never off road 2nd owner -might fall in love with it and its new engine-?? who knows.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thank you--I did a lot to my 89 total new 5 coat paint, complete AC overhauled transmission the usual shocks, brakes, drive shaft, etc--I'm going to put a new 5.8 in it when I get the money--It has 202,000 on the odometer and at 125,000 valves were done---but I might sell it with the new engine as I have too many cars for me--it is a beautiful Bronco---Never an accident and never off road 2nd owner -might fall in love with it and its new engine-?? who knows.
Well they have a FOR SALE section on hear. You might want to take some pictures of it. Post them and someone might be interested. Where do you live?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well check the FRONT drive shaft and youkes reallt good for wear and slack. Is it full time or part time?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo captsb890,
Not that this helps, but it barely narrows the hunt down; see Noise in chart below, it suggest drive line.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-140505_Android System.jpg
    Screenshot_20210128-140505_Android System.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 8

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yes it is. Easier on gas too.
Yo captsb890,
Not that this helps, but it barely narrows the hunt down; see Noise in chart below, it suggest drive line.
Everything helps Mike. Hope your eyes are doing better. Thank you ,all those who served and are serving our country.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke