Trans Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wulfpac44

Reaction score
i have a 1988 bronco II that will not go in reverse, it sounds and feels like it's going into gear. It will go forward but not reverse. I'm trying to sell it and a guy came to look at it today and he got it to go in reverse for a few feet but then stopped and shifted gears again. This thing hasn't gone in reverse for about a month. Does anyone have any ideas on what it would take to fix other than a new trans? thanks

Bulldozer

Reaction score
Most likely it's the tranny, but you need to get it on a lift to be sure.

yusuebronko2_86

Reaction score
i had the same problem on my transmission.

first, it wouldn't go into reverse for about a week, until i put it into low gear, went foreward a few feet, and then revved the engine and finally jammed it into gear (very softly). after that, a month later, it got jammed into first gear on my friend's ranch, but the shifter was in neutral. it turned out that a little ring in the tail-portion of the transmission got lodged and split between two gears, so I put a trans. out of an '89. if your trans cross member bolts are on the set of holes on the frame closest to the front, those transmissions (shorter by about 3") tend to ***** up every once in a while before crapping out on you. the newer ones (rearward holes on frame) don't lock and stuff, but the one I have has some pretty sh*tty synchros. just look at the frame where the cross-member bolt up for this pattern:

------------------

--------------------

there should be 3 rivets and 2 spare holes

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948