tranny identification help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdom001

Reaction score
can anyone help me identify mt tranny. I thought it was an AOD. I found a website, http://www.badshoeproductions.com/trans.html, that says by the oil pan i see

thats it's an AODE/4r70W. But then I found some info at autozone.com that identifies it as a possible c6 because of the crossmember. I took some pics please help me if you can. I need to know cause I'm planing an engine swap from the 302 to a cummins 6bt and need to get the right adapters and have the right info.

bronco_tranny_001.jpg

bronco_tranny_002.jpg

bronco_tranny_006.jpg

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
This is a C6 transmission pan, it has 17 bolts. This is my stock one, a PO f*cked it up by trying to put a drain plug in it. I have a chrome TCI one now that no one will ever see instead of a nice set of chrome valve covers <_<

Trans_Pan.jpg

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The pan in the first pic looks like the AOD. There is some info and ID pics in the tech Articels forum that i recently updated, JSM84

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
If its an 88 it most likey a C6 or and AOD. From lookin at that pic now the shape of it looks like an AOD.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I just replaced the AOD in MY 88' and it's got a pan identical to yours. That **** in the middle is specific to 4x4 AOD's. I've had a whole bunch of C6's and never seen one with a similar ****. I can take & post photos if it'll help any.

OP
OP
sdom001

sdom001

Reaction score
Thank you for all the trouble you guys have gone thru. I guess it's an aod. Thanx

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
This ain't rocket science, Boys... If it's got 3 forward speeds, it's a C6... If it's got 4 forward speeds, it's an AODE.
I think that it was in '88 that they added the E4OD.

So if it is a four speed with an OD on/off switch on the dash it is an E4OD.

joe

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
I think that it was in '88 that they added the E4OD.So if it is a four speed with an OD on/off switch on the dash it is an E4OD.

joe
installing a ******'s? now thats a chore... nice and yea everyones is right its and AOD im pretty damned sure!

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Another way to tell C6 from AOD is the neutral safety switch the C6 will have this ********* plastic rotary switch mounted right behind the shift likage it goes on the same shaft so you have to remove the shift linkage to get it off . The AOD has the neutral safety/backup built into the tranny so there is a round plug to the upper side of the case . As everyone has said this one is definately an AOD :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23