Timing On A 84 351 4v **

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RagunCajn

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to fords here. I recently installed a mallory unilte distribitor with mechanical advance in my 84 Bronco with a 351 4v. What is the recommended timing to set the motor at? I just have it set by ear right now.

Thanks

Chris

Seabronc

Reaction score
Look on the sticker that is on tghe front of your truck just under the hood left side. I would venture a guess that it is 10 BTDC. I have a 351 and that is what the sticker I am using says.

Tiime it with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged.

Good luck,

:)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
Look on the sticker that is on the front of your truck just under the hood left side as you are looking at the truck from the front. Probably less confusing to say passenger side that is untill I just saw a right side drive Bronco. I would venture a guess that it is 10 BTDC. I have a 351 and that is what the sticker I am using says.

Tiime it with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged.

Good luck,

OP
OP
R

RagunCajn

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I forgot to mention that my sticker is for a 300 I6 so apparently my front support has been changed before :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

FLYFSHIN

Reaction score
It's a matter of much debate, but apprarently you can set it at 13 degrees and it will boost HP by 20 ponies. I have not had time to set mine to 13 yet, but I plan on it. I dont have the ** motor though, I have a 351w. Not sure if that matters or not.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Tell you what Flyfishin, I am working on mine this afternoon if it don't rain. I'll bump it back to 13 and see if it feels more powerful. I'll let you know. A real Ford expert friend of mine did mention using non standard timing plus a few carb tweaks that will boost the power quite a bit. He builds racing engines and I expect he knows what he is talking about. Though some of them will probably improve the local gas stations profits :lol:

Good luck,

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
I moved my timing back and played with it and set it to about 12 to 13. the truck runs better than ever before. I learned this all by trial and error. that is good to know that i am not the only one with the timing advanced.

P.S. I have a 351w 4v **

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula