Thinking about buying an 84 Bronco, would like some input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nagata

Reaction score
Hey all. I know you probably get this a lot, but I'm a newbie to Broncos and would like some input. While perusing the local craigslist yesterday, I found a guy selling a 1984 Bronco, 302, auto. Says he's moving and that's why he needs to sell it, so I'm thinking he's fairly motivated. The paint is bad, he says it has some rust, cracked windshield, non-working turn signals, soft brakes & steering, and the mileage is unknown...But, that it runs strong, good interior, good tires, and working back window. Also, he told me that he hasn't used the 4x4 in a long time, so I'm figuring it's kaput. Here's a link to the ad, so you can see the pics and read his description: http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/268315897.html

Anyway, this is kind of a "spur of the moment" deal, I just happened to see it and think, "You know, an old beater Bronco could be fun." He's asking $750, but I know I wouldn't pay that for it. I would like to see if anyone has any input. Think it's worth it if I can pick it up for, say, $500-$600 (assuming it's not just a complete pile and actually runs/drives decently)? Obviously I'm not expecting it to be great, and it wouldn't be a daily driver by any means, but I miss having a truck and think it would be fun to have a Bronco, so that's why I'm interested. Of course, it's gonna require a lot of money and wrench time to get it into a good condition, but I'm not even sure if I'd do that. Maybe try to **** some rust and give it a primer job, then go from there.

One last question - How difficult is it to swap a manual transmission into Broncos? If I get it and decide that it's worth it to try and fix it up, I'd really like to put a manual in, but I couldn't find any real information on transmission swaps by doing a search, so I just figured I'd ask.

Thanks, I really appreciate any input I get :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yardape

Reaction score
any running/driving Bronco is worth 750.00 hands down. I buy one just for parts that I dont need if it came up for sale here.

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
any running/driving Bronco is worth 750.00 hands down. I buy one just for parts that I dont need if it came up for sale here.
I agree with Yardape buy it, If it will go around the block its worth fixin in my opinion!!!!!!!! I'm trading an 86 F-150 for a second bronco thats in about the same shape becaus I want the parts.

OP
OP
N

nagata

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I went and checked it out this evening (didn't actually meet the guy, no one was home, he had just given me directions to his place). It's pretty much what I expected, somewhat rough: there's rust along the bottoms of both fender wells, a little rust along the bottom of the rear body panels on both sides, and the tailgate is VERY rusted. Undercarriage didn't look too bad, interior (from what I could see) looked pretty good. The removable top, the hood, the doors, and the front fenders all looked pretty good. I left the guy a note and e-mailed him, hopefully he gives me a call this evening and I can go check it out further, ask him questions, hear it run and drive it tomorrow.

Couple questions: It has a floor shifter for the transfer case, so it's gotta have a manual transfer case...Think that means there's a good chance the 4wd works, or is it still pretty likely that the hubs are shot?

The tailgate - What are the chances of being able to find a decent condition replacement?

Thanks again!

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I went and checked it out this evening (didn't actually meet the guy, no one was home, he had just given me directions to his place). It's pretty much what I expected, somewhat rough: there's rust along the bottoms of both fender wells, a little rust along the bottom of the rear body panels on both sides, and the tailgate is VERY rusted. Undercarriage didn't look too bad, interior (from what I could see) looked pretty good. The removable top, the hood, the doors, and the front fenders all looked pretty good. I left the guy a note and e-mailed him, hopefully he gives me a call this evening and I can go check it out further, ask him questions, hear it run and drive it tomorrow.
Couple questions: It has a floor shifter for the transfer case, so it's gotta have a manual transfer case...Think that means there's a good chance the 4wd works, or is it still pretty likely that the hubs are shot?

The tailgate - What are the chances of being able to find a decent condition replacement?

Thanks again!
T-case probably ok if you can drive it?! The rear driveline goes thrugh the T-case, Does not guarantee that it will engage the front. You wont really know till you try it. It will work or not. Even if the hubs are bad, most places sell them for under 100 bucks, Pretty simple to install a few allen screws and a snap ring and one small retaining *****. Tailgate should be pretty easy to find, I got a good one for my 86 for 100 bucks with the glass in it.

Please keep in mind that my comments about Broncos come from a True Blue Ford fan, Thats how I'm getting my 2nd bronc a friend bought one and two months later decided he didn't like it. I personally cant picture life without mine. Cars and trucks come and go, I will always have my BRONCO! If you like it get it.

GOOD LUCK :)

Yardape

Reaction score
Theres no way to tell by looking at it if the hubs are shot, you can lock them in and try to turn the driveshaft, they should take a turn or two to engage, then you shouldnt be able to turn the front driveshaft. It would be a good idea to change the gear oil in the diffs, just so you know that they are full and the fluids in good shape. Then drive around with the hubs locked in so that the front diff gets oiled up. Then hit a mudhole, or snow if you have it and test the 4 wheel drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

nagata

Reaction score
Theres no way to tell by looking at it if the hubs are shot, you can lock them in and try to turn the driveshaft, they should take a turn or two to engage, then you shouldnt be able to turn the front driveshaft. It would be a good idea to change the gear oil in the diffs, just so you know that they are full and the fluids in good shape. Then drive around with the hubs locked in so that the front diff gets oiled up. Then hit a mudhole, or snow if you have it and test the 4 wheel drive.
Thanks for the info. I talked to the owner, I'm planning to go meet him and check it out further either yet this evening or tomorrow. See how it runs, then I'll make a decision.

OP
OP
N

nagata

Reaction score
Alright, I went over this morning to talk to the guy and check it out further. The interior is in pretty good shape considering it's age: power windows work, seats are discolored but otherwise good, but there's no stereo, the power locks don't work, and he doesn't have a key for the door lock cylinders (not that it REALLY matters, wouldn't be leaving anything of value in it, but I'd probably want to have a key made for the doors, or replace the lock cylinders). He tried to get it running so I could take it for a test drive, but had some problems. He said he hadn't started it in 4-6 weeks, and it's below 20 here right now. He cranked it for about 20 seconds and it started to fire. After a few tries, he got it to start, and had it running by revving it, but as soon as he let off the gas, it died. He tried a couple times, it backfired once or twice, got it to idle for a few seconds, but then it died again. We let it sit and I looked around, looked in the engine bay and what not. Engine bay looks alright, no glaring problems (new belts, newer power steering pump, but the rack has a leak, so it doesn't work the best, oil level was okay). He said he's only had to add about a quart of oil since he got it (guess he only drove it a couple thousand miles since buying it last spring). The 302 has a Holley carb, and by looking at the engine, I'd guess it's original. The previous owner added a manual choke, so I'm not sure what that says...The owner said the carb is definitely rich, and he's adjusted it a couple times to where it was running well, but eventually it's out of adjustment again. After about 5 minutes of letting it sit, looking it over and talking to the owner, I got in and cranked it over, it actually fired right up, idled for 10 or 15 seconds, then died. Tried it again, but it only cranked for maybe 15 seconds and then the battery died. The needle on the fuel gauge was below the E, so that may have had something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

I know it's REALLY hard to judge anything based on some quick notes written online, but from what I've described, do you think this Bronco has any realistic potential? As I said earlier, I wouldn't be buying this and expecting it to be a reliable daily driver, but I also don't have the time/money right now to turn it into a rebuilding project. I want it to occasionally haul around some stuff that won't fit in my car, get me around the area in the case of a big snow storm, cruise around in some during the summer, and hit some trails, without really worrying about it.

I guess it is what it is: a 23 year old truck that hasn't been well cared for. The owner says it runs strong and drives well, but I won't know until I actually get to drive it. He's gonna put a charger on it, get some more gas, and try to get it running, then give me a call. There are still several unknowns that should be answered with a test drive, so I'm not making any decisions until then, but do you guys have any input? Any thoughts? Anything I should be particularly leery of? I'm not a car noob, I've been working on them since I was 16, but I haven't had much experience with carbed engines (aside from my two older sportbikes, but those are so well tuned I haven't even had to think about the carbs), so I don't know if the engine's reluctance to start/stay running is simply a side effect of the cold+not having been run+not tuned+low on gas (sounds like a pretty good combination of things to make an old engine not wanna go), or if it's evidence of more serious problems. Once again, thanks!

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Where's It at? I'll buy it :) Just kiddin' I took my wife by my buddy's house to look at my new one....................................?

All the things that you mentioned will make it hard to start. Like you said get some gas in it and a good charge on the battery and try again. If the choke is improperly adjusted It can be a REAL #$^&&^%$#$@# to start when its that cold. Heres more of my opinion, Fullsize broncos are well put together trucks, There are so many parts that will interchange throughout the years that you will always be able to get parts. For the most part the parts are inexpensive, granted there are some that can pinch a budget but thats true with all machines.

If the engine will start and run, I'd GUESS that you'r in decent shape. Rebuilding the carb can be done in a couple of hours if needed or get a rebuilt one, If you'r worried about the condition of the engine do a compression check on it. Sounds like a tune up would help too. Its a USED 20 year old rig, Is it worth it to you? Here are some qustions to ask yourself. whats your budget? do you really have time to work on it? Do you need to be able to drive it while you fix it up? If your worried about the truck over all a shop will usually do a bumper to bumper inspection for a small fee. Ask around and take it to a shop you can trust. Do you have a local 4x4 club? They usually know of a reliable shop.?. Just some things to think about!!! GOOD LUCK Let me know what you find.

Redneckn

Reaction score
I'd buy it pretty quick. I just paid 3k for my 86 Bronco. Granted, there are just menial things wrong with it. But still, for less than 750, I'd have to buyit.

With a little work, you could have a good truck to wheel in or just to get around town in.

Carb rebuild, if needed, wouldnt take too much.

If it was me, I'd offer him 500 and see if he'll bite. He may, he may not. Doesnt hurt to try. Even if you have to pay 750 for it, it still sounds like a fair deal.

Yardape

Reaction score
Carbed engines are not known for starting to easy in the cold, hopefully this has him discouraged and you might be able to get it for $500.00 or so. Dont worry about the hard starting, all the moons have to be aligned with the sun in order for a carb to work properly, the choke is a real pain to set up, if you can get it cheaper put that money into a brand new carb, dont mess with old crap or you will be chasing gremlins for as long as you own it. Get a holley truck avenger and your troubles will fade away. (of course you might want to ensure you keep gas in it too, runs better when it has fuel)

OP
OP
N

nagata

Reaction score
Thank you very much guys. I'm going to go look at it again on Thursday (busy as **** until then, or I'd be going sooner), so long as someone else doesn't buy it before then. If I can get it to run and take it for a test drive, and it drives decently, I'm gonna offer him $600 and see what he says. I'll be posting again on Thursday, either saying I've joined the "Bronco family," or that he didn't bite and that I appreciate all of your help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

FS90Bronco

Reaction score
You will love the Bronco...its like a Jeep on Steroids!!! lol

I actually bought a 90 a few years back and it had some major problems, rear end, transmission, oil leaks...so on. So I "gave" it to my wifes grandfather as he wanted to tinker with it and he had the money to keep fixing it...I didn't. Well, he passed away about a year ago and the truck has been sitting at my mother-in-laws. I just went over last night to look at it and it seems to be doing well... > I believe he got the transmission fixed and well, I had fixed the rear end and oil leaks...although it appears the oil leaks are back. :blink:

Tonight I am going to give it further inspection and depending on if I can get the title for it...I will be the proud owner...........again. :rolleyes:

I already have plans to sell my 00 F150 extracab 4x4 because I have a 2wd truck too and I plan to drive the 2wd for gas mileage reasons. But if I can get this Bronco up to my liking, I will use it as my tow pig for my 4-wheelers and weekend warrior.

OP
OP
N

nagata

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts and input, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, after test driving it, I realized that the Bronco need a LOT more work than I have the time or money to do, so I won't be buying it. Test driving it revealed that the brakes are almost completely shot, the heater core is bad, it burns oil and leaks it out through the valve covers, there are serious suspension/alignment issues, and the carb is BADLY out of tune. Perhaps someday down the road I'll get a Bronco, but for now, I'd just like to wish everyone the best of luck in all their endevours. Have a good one!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23