Tell Me This Is Okay & Getting Closer to Seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RR-Texas

Reaction score
On both sides, I believe it to be more pronounced now after our Big Texas Freeze? Had other adulting going on. Pics out of order of course

Did a headlight upgrade from BGY the lights work, but no high beams now. I had it ran from DS across, then I found, noticed, finally paid attention to the power wire. So now it runs PS across. Getting closer, I believe the left side is closer to correct, at least no one flashed their lights with the other bulbs on bright. They use to shine below the door handles

Richard

Attachments

• 4F105FCA-4DF2-4E6E-B557-D94A6C284EC0.jpeg
    4F105FCA-4DF2-4E6E-B557-D94A6C284EC0.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 16
  • D31A1028-221B-4410-BCB1-B9E50238929C.jpeg
    D31A1028-221B-4410-BCB1-B9E50238929C.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 2DCB62D7-5CDA-4E85-A127-A591E8F36C19.jpeg
    2DCB62D7-5CDA-4E85-A127-A591E8F36C19.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 16

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Those cracks on the drip rail are common. Those look pretty rusty, they have been cracked a while.

Not sure of the negative side effects. If water is getting inside or not.

We always just weld them up and paint over but your red is gonna be hard to match.

Is that picture of the headlights on high beam or low?

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Those cracks on the drip rail are common. Those look pretty rusty, they have been cracked a while.

Not sure of the negative side effects. If water is getting inside or not.

We always just weld them up and paint over but your red is gonna be hard to match.

Is that picture of the headlights on high beam or low?
High beam I think, it won’t stay on? Difficult to say they don’t change, high beams worked before I added the harness from Jeff’s. But I ran out of time and steam last night.

You haven’t seen the International Red paint I’m using to patch where the paint is coming off. Wasn’t a top of the line paint & I never waxed it. No water inside that I know off

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but it doesn’t matter what headlight you use to power the upgraded harness. The both have 3 wires, I always thought the light wiring ran across from the drivers side, but there’s no battery power on the drivers side. I keep forgetting Jeffs is eastern time, no information came with the harness but it’s pretty straight forward

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Check the bulbs--both high and low beam. If the both burn on both high and low--WITHOUT THE WIRING HARNESS---It will be your harness

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Richard,
Ryan M developed the harness and later sold rights to broncograveyard, etc.
Here is Ryan's Install pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/20111227041636/http://96.0.50.30/headlight_manual.pdf
Screenshot_20211208-085840_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Following from another member in a deleted web site;
"I missed this step, "Lastly, the on/off switch for the harness is the original plug. So, you simply plug the new harness into the old pigtail for the passenger-side headlight" from the write-up.
Recently, I received a set of H4 / LED upgraded headlights. Then, while poking around on broncograveyard, I saw that they had an upgraded wiring harness that they highly recommended to get the maximum out of H4 headlights."

Following in an 86:
"The other perk of the headlight harness is that it uses direct battery power for the headlights, instead of passing it through the dash switch. A pair of relays are then used to turn the headlights on and off. Allows for A) less straight on the switch and B) more juice to the headlights.

Here's the link I used. They have one for each model year bronco. (66 - 77, 78 - 79, 80 - 86, 87 - 91, 92 - 96), so be sure to get the right one for your year.

This is the one for the 80 - 86.
Heavy Duty Headlight Harness 80-86-Broncograveyard.com

20160118-13.57.08.jpg

The headlights are from Amazon, but basically it's a "H4 H6054 upgrade" with H4 being the newer replaceable bulbs, and the H6054 is the original sealed beam bulb.

These are the ones I got:

Amazon.com: ModifyStreet® 7X6 H6014/H6052/H6054 Chrome Crystal Square Projector Headlights - White LED Ring: Everything Else

They come in an assortment of colors. There are definitely more expensive, higher quality sets out there upwards of 3 digits for a set, but I wasn't super concerned. However, no matter what you go with, be sure you get glass and not plastic. Plastic will fog after a while whereas glass won't.

The first thing I did was route the driver's side part of the wiring over to the driver's side headlight. I ran it in front of the radiator and out of the way. Now that it's all working, I'll probably remove the front grill and do a better job of securing it in place and up and out of the way.

20160118-13.59.16.jpg

Next I removed the battery to make enough room to clearly work:

20160118-14.00.11.jpg

Each side has a ground wire. I cleaned up my original ground and added this one. The headlights also had a ground wire for the LED ring. I didn't take pictures, but I tied the positive wiring for the LEDs into the parking lights.

20160118-15.36.09.jpg

Next, there's a positive, direct battery connection for each of the headlights. I could have connected it to the battery post, but figured this was an easier and cleaner mounting point.

20160118-15.40.04.jpg

The kit also included two relays. One for each headlight. I drilled and mounted them to the firewall next to the battery. The harness just plugged right in to them.

20160118-15.52.55.jpg

Lastly, the on/off switch for the harness is the original plug. So, you simply plug the new harness into the old pigtail for the passenger-side headlight.

20160118-14.31.31.jpg

20160118-15.36.01.jpg

The other interesting part is that the old harness still works. So if anything were to ever happen to a relay, the original pigtails are still available and usable. In this picture, the passenger side is plugged into the new harness and the driver's side is into the old harness. Even in the middle of the day, the brightness difference is noticeable.

20160118-16.16.59.jpg

The old headlight:

20160118-16.17.13.jpg

The new headlight:

20160118-16.17.07.jpg

This was a fun, new extra. The LED ring comes on with the parking lights. This is just the parking lights.
Also, on these particular lights, each headlight had two sets of wires for the LEDs. One for the left ring and one for the right ring. So, I could have done something fun like have half the headlight blink with the turn signal. However, I didn't want it to only be half lit when the turn signal wasn't being used, so I didn't mess with it.

20160118-17.14.16.jpg

Put back together and done. Pretty darn bright for 4 in the afternoon.

20160118-17.14.40.jpg

Overall, the upgrade was incredibly simple to do. The only work was drilling two holes for the relays. Otherwise, the majority of my time was spent cleaning up the grounds and wiring in the LEDs for the headlights (which didn't have anything to do with the harness)."

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Richard,
Ryan M developed the harness and later sold rights to broncograveyard, etc.
Here is Ryan's Install pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/20111227041636/http://96.0.50.30/headlight_manual.pdf
View attachment 28999
Following from another member in a deleted web site;
"I missed this step, "Lastly, the on/off switch for the harness is the original plug. So, you simply plug the new harness into the old pigtail for the passenger-side headlight" from the write-up.
Recently, I received a set of H4 / LED upgraded headlights. Then, while poking around on broncograveyard, I saw that they had an upgraded wiring harness that they highly recommended to get the maximum out of H4 headlights."

Following in an 86:
"The other perk of the headlight harness is that it uses direct battery power for the headlights, instead of passing it through the dash switch. A pair of relays are then used to turn the headlights on and off. Allows for A) less straight on the switch and B) more juice to the headlights.

Here's the link I used. They have one for each model year bronco. (66 - 77, 78 - 79, 80 - 86, 87 - 91, 92 - 96), so be sure to get the right one for your year.

This is the one for the 80 - 86.
Heavy Duty Headlight Harness 80-86-Broncograveyard.com

View attachment 28986

The headlights are from Amazon, but basically it's a "H4 H6054 upgrade" with H4 being the newer replaceable bulbs, and the H6054 is the original sealed beam bulb.

These are the ones I got:

Amazon.com: ModifyStreet® 7X6 H6014/H6052/H6054 Chrome Crystal Square Projector Headlights - White LED Ring: Everything Else

They come in an assortment of colors. There are definitely more expensive, higher quality sets out there upwards of 3 digits for a set, but I wasn't super concerned. However, no matter what you go with, be sure you get glass and not plastic. Plastic will fog after a while whereas glass won't.

The first thing I did was route the driver's side part of the wiring over to the driver's side headlight. I ran it in front of the radiator and out of the way. Now that it's all working, I'll probably remove the front grill and do a better job of securing it in place and up and out of the way.

View attachment 28987

Next I removed the battery to make enough room to clearly work:

View attachment 28988

Each side has a ground wire. I cleaned up my original ground and added this one. The headlights also had a ground wire for the LED ring. I didn't take pictures, but I tied the positive wiring for the LEDs into the parking lights.

View attachment 28989

Next, there's a positive, direct battery connection for each of the headlights. I could have connected it to the battery post, but figured this was an easier and cleaner mounting point.

View attachment 28990

The kit also included two relays. One for each headlight. I drilled and mounted them to the firewall next to the battery. The harness just plugged right in to them.

View attachment 28991

Lastly, the on/off switch for the harness is the original plug. So, you simply plug the new harness into the old pigtail for the passenger-side headlight.

View attachment 28992

View attachment 28993

The other interesting part is that the old harness still works. So if anything were to ever happen to a relay, the original pigtails are still available and usable. In this picture, the passenger side is plugged into the new harness and the driver's side is into the old harness. Even in the middle of the day, the brightness difference is noticeable.

View attachment 28994

The old headlight:

View attachment 28995

The new headlight:

View attachment 28996

This was a fun, new extra. The LED ring comes on with the parking lights. This is just the parking lights.
Also, on these particular lights, each headlight had two sets of wires for the LEDs. One for the left ring and one for the right ring. So, I could have done something fun like have half the headlight blink with the turn signal. However, I didn't want it to only be half lit when the turn signal wasn't being used, so I didn't mess with it.

View attachment 28997

Put back together and done. Pretty darn bright for 4 in the afternoon.

View attachment 28998

Overall, the upgrade was incredibly simple to do. The only work was drilling two holes for the relays. Otherwise, the majority of my time was spent cleaning up the grounds and wiring in the LEDs for the headlights (which didn't have anything to do with the harness)."
I read awhile back. In some vehicles cannot use the LED LIGHTS because the wiring won,t accept them and cause trouble. I know I put led bulbs in the dash of my 78 and it never made any difference,but since these are head lights. It might not. The plug in are nice,but later on when corrusion enters--troubles are caused. Wouldn,t some wires be better soldier on? Plus these extra bright headlights might help you see better. They are a road hazzard. While you can see better--you can blind the other driver and risk a head on collusion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar