TAPPING NOISE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddridder

Reaction score
When I first start my truck ,there is a tapping noise. After it warms it's gone.My friend tells me it is my injectors.He says all Fords do it till they warm up.Is there something I can do to stop that sound??

BLADE262US

Reaction score
You will always be able to hear your injectors fire unless the exhaust is very loud . If its a tapping when you first start it especially when its cold itd more that likely the lifters . You could try STP oil treatment or something like that . If it is just the lifters really wont hurt anything but figure them in on the next rebuild :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
muddridder

muddridder

Reaction score
You will always be able to hear your injectors fire unless the exhaust is very loud . If its a tapping when you first start it especially when its cold itd more that likely the lifters . You could try STP oil treatment or something like that . If it is just the lifters really wont hurt anything but figure them in on the next rebuild :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanx for the info......... B)

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
I AGREE WITH BLADE262US SOUNDS LIKE LIFTERS PECKIN...LIKE HE SAID JUST FIGURE A NEW SET WHEN YOU REBUILD....LUCAS OIL STABILIZER WORKS GREAT...I USE IT WITH EVERY OIL CHANGE...NOTHING ELSE YOU CAN USE RISOLINE OIL CONDITIONER...YOU CAN PICK IT UP AT WALLY-WORLD (WAL-MART)...WORKS GOOD ON STICKING LIFTERS OR ONES THAT DON'T PUMP UP GOOD...HOPE THIS HELPS... B)

walnuts75

Reaction score
When I first start my truck ,there is a tapping noise. After it warms it's gone.My friend tells me it is my injectors.He says all Fords do it till they warm up.Is there something I can do to stop that sound??
I had the exact same problem with my bronco for a while, especially in the winter. It was a slight knocking noise upon every startup. My dad said that its just a Ford thing, he has owned every Ford engine you can think of. I started running higher octain fuel and also fuel injector cleaners through the engine and the knocking gradually went away. Also choosing gas stations with more additives and detergents will help. It hasn't knocked for about six months now and I even switched back to regular octain fuel (it's just too expensive to use premium anymore). Hope this helps.

OP
OP
muddridder

muddridder

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem with my bronco for a while, especially in the winter. It was a slight knocking noise upon every startup. My dad said that its just a Ford thing, he has owned every Ford engine you can think of. I started running higher octain fuel and also fuel injector cleaners through the engine and the knocking gradually went away. Also choosing gas stations with more additives and detergents will help. It hasn't knocked for about six months now and I even switched back to regular octain fuel (it's just too expensive to use premium anymore). Hope this helps.
Thanx I will try that..... :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
also, use a length of garden hose, ets. and use it as a stethooscope to pinpoint da tap; BEWARE of FAN and BELTS, etc.

carbon build up on piston top(s), timing could be off, EGR probs, or bad sensors, etc. can be cause

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23