Tailgate Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nagurski

Reaction score
I need to replace the tailgate on my '94. When I checked at my local Ford dealer there was a different part number for the '94-'96 tailgate but I've heard from other sources that all the late model tailgates are interchangeable - anyone know for sure? I suspect the differences are minor and that they won't matter to me but I'd like to know for sure.

Incidentally, the Ford shell was quoted at $1026! I told them I was going to shop around a little...

Raven

Reaction score
Tailgates

there ya go they have the shells and any parts ya need fo the interior of them ..

OP
OP
N

nagurski

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this has been very helpful and opens up my options as far as sourcing a replacement. Next question is - are the OEM replacements worth the considerable extra money? From what I've seen there is OEM at approximately $1000, CAPA certified at around $375 or so, and general aftermarket in the $250 range... any thoughts?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The OEM or factory shells and other body parts will generally have a better fit to your vehicle. While aftermarket/foreign parts are cheaper, it takes more work to get the body lines straight. I personally would only use the OEM part for an insurance claim due to the cost. If it's coming out of your pocket, then go with the cheapest one you can find or find a good used factory tg.

azrockrat

Reaction score
The OEM or factory shells and other body parts will generally have a better fit to your vehicle. While aftermarket/foreign parts are cheaper, it takes more work to get the body lines straight. I personally would only use the OEM part for an insurance claim due to the cost. If it's coming out of your pocket, then go with the cheapest one you can find or find a good used factory tg.
he can be tought :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> j/k k randy

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Darn straight!!!

I think the tg shells are the same fit from 78-96, BTW

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Reaction score
LMCTruck has an 83-86 tg shell for $260, plus shipping. Check with your local salvage yard for the 91. Many of them can order new aftermarket parts like fenders and other body panels from sources not available to the public. If you just want the outer skin, AutoFab has a fiberglass replacement tg outer panel.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Autofab tailgate

Here's the link to the Autofab page. Theire tailgate is a complete fiberglass shell, not just the outer skin like I thought. $750, but never rusts.

(Note: AutoFab has alot of stuff that they don't list on the home page, but the Table of Contents lists all of their stuff and some tech pages. Kinda pricy, but not your average ricer parts either)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23