tail gates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelyelltex

Reaction score
just curious really. but my tailgate is rusted pretty nicely (i know im not the first with this problem) and i dont want to mess with it so i am going to replace it when i get back from vacation. my question is, would a tailgate off a later model bronco fit in its place? if so, would i have to make any mods to get it to work? i just like the look of later tailgates better than i do the one on mine. either that, or should i even bother putting a tailgate on? my only thought was i might need it for the rain and snow seeing as how im in virginia.

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I have a tailgate from a 1993 on my 1990 and it fits fine, the wire colors may be different but you'll figure them out.

wtfdissux

Reaction score
Seabronc was it you that pop riveted the lower window motor support in your gate? If so I found the solution:

get a good donor gate (you know the ones rusted outer good inner's) and drill the spot welds out along the top ( think that there was 8 of them) and bend the outer lip up from the bottom exterior of the gate seems that the lower edge just goes between the skin and the skeleton once the bracket is free from the "pinch" and spots are drilled you can pull it right out (providing the motor regulator assembly and glass are out but don't think you could get this far if they weren't)

then on you good gate simple drill the spots or carefully cut the old one out and rivet or weld into place I am putting a diamond plate lower piece in so I just pop riveted it there until I weld it in with the outer panel

Big Country

Reaction score
seems like the question has already been answered but I was just going to add that I replaced an '84 for a '90 so I know for a fact it will work. But like someone else said the wires are different but you will know if you didn't do it right. When something doesn't work.

wtfdissux

Reaction score
there is a link somewhere if I can find it that explains the differances between the differant year gates

wtfdissux

Reaction score
hope you found it I cant remember where it was and FSB takes to long to load so I ussually avoid it

TPLS JNNY

Reaction score
Tecumseh,ont,canada.....close to detroit mi
I bought a tailgate from jbg's about 18 mos ago for about $250 brand new ....well worth it and just transferred the old guts....no rust new paint ...looks great... I had been entertaining the thought of a used one but the fact is they all rust eventually new at least u can extend the life of the gate longer.

OP
OP
R

rebelyelltex

Reaction score
this might be kind of a dumb question so dont laugh but.. to get the tailgate off do i need to snip the wires or is there a plug somewhere?

wtfdissux

Reaction score
well not trying to sound dumb but in a word yes

some times there is a plug sometimes there is not. Ithink it depends on if someone has been into it already or not or maybe the year out of three different gates plus orriginal 2 did 2 didn't

wtfdissux

Reaction score
it may be inside the gate or inside the space behind the ligh or even in the rubber "tube" that goes from body to gate if you got one then use it makes life much easier

OP
OP
R

rebelyelltex

Reaction score
i'll keep on lookin and see what i can find, worst comes to worst i will just snip em, im decent with wire'n. just out of curiosity, but would a f-150 tailgate fit? i am planning on putting a soft top on so i really wouldnt have much of a need for the rearwindow, so would that work?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23