TADS...Weakest links with lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Still trying to decide... to lock -or- not to lock...?

(Looking for personal experiences, not just opinions..) >

I watched a couple locked vehicles daintly creep up a hill that we normally shoot right on up.

Are they being careful not to "snap" things..? :angry:

I'm runn'n a '66 Roadster with the 200 c.i. six, no hardtop & 456's with posi in the rear. (I'm sure it's 28 spline) & 32x 11.50's Never backed down a hill yet but could happen some day..! :D/

If I put a Detroit soft locker in the rear...will I be needing to carry a bunch of axles & u-joints..? b-(

Now the front...Dana 30 open & P/S. It does great with that light 6 cyl. above it.

What about locking a Dana 30...I'm not runn'n a big V/8 ?

Auzie lockers...? heard they work good but take for ever to get delivery. (& cheap!) :-"

Thanks,

Bob

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
The rear will not be the problem. The front Dana30 is the weak link. A few buddies run 35's on a D30 locked and have little problems if they keep off the gas. When a tire is spinning hard, bounces it can break an axle when it gets contact with the ground again at those speeds. Open diffs will transfer the load to the wheel with less traction saving the axle but less traction. Locker - When one tire is in the air the tire on the ground will now have 100% traction instead of none with open diff. If you have a flexy suspension open diffs arn't that bad. Its in the crazy stuff that you need the extra traction. On road lockers do not do well. Tires churp around corners and when you hit the gas hard the truck want to drive straight. A selectable locker is the way to go like OX and ARB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23