Swapping Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stubby1971

Reaction score
Is there a market for trading gears? I've got a set of 4.88's in my truck rite now- that was great with the 40+" tires that were on it- now with the smaller 37's I'm screaming on the road. The truck is rarely off road- which is a shame, but I need taller gears if I keep the small tires- So.... What would be a good gear for the smaller tires? I'm not looking for a new land speed record while driving- but 65-75 mph at 25-2800 rpms would be nice. The truck is set up with a c-6 auto- so I don't have overdrive

Yardape

Reaction score
37's with 4.88 should be close to perfect. If its too low for for I wont go any higher than 4.56

Yardape

Reaction score
4 wheelin purposes, the lower gears will be much better so the overdrive would be ideal. But you cant beat the strength of the C-6. Thats a tough one to call. Going the route of the overdrive would probably be the cheapest, a gear swap can get quite costly. What axles are you running?

ocalabronco

Reaction score
if you're only running a 3 spd, or at least a tranny with a 1:1 final gear, 4.56 would probably be a good ratio. it depends on what kinda street driving you do. with 4.11s, you'll have a good HIGHWAY cruising RPM, but for in-town your gonna lack some go-power. i'd stick with the 4.56 if you're set on swapping gears

OP
OP
Stubby1971

Stubby1971

Reaction score
what would happen if i went back to the 42" tires? in you guys' opinion- would the taller tires help me with the shorter gears? and would they handle a set of 44"- my thinking is it would be cheaper to buy bigger tires than swap gears- i'm running a pretty much stock front end with a 9" outback w/ a 4 wheel disc conversion

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj