Stupid Cosmetics Question--the Top Looks Bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lola

Reaction score
My '96 had a black top but after a few years it became a nasty grey. Is that cleanable? I think it was overwaxed when I bought it and it's possible that it's just old wax. Or does the fiberglass fade? I know it hasn't been washed too much. I've probably washed it about 8 times since I bought it (and I bought it new :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ).

A slightly related question--can I climb on the fiberglass top to clean it or will Bad Things happen?

4xfan78

Reaction score
Iwould wash it with bleach, it will remove any old wax. As far as climbing on it I would not get on it unless it's a must. If you do stay on the sides of it and do not stand in the middle. Also it depends on what you weigh. I'm around 185 and I can get on top of my 78 and there is no problems.

Desert Donk

Reaction score
Good question! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have always wondered what to do with those myself. The best thing I have found is to scrub it with a stiff brush and some detergent. They SPARINGLY put on some Lexol Vynlex. If you put much on it washes down onto the paint when it rains. Hopefully someone will have a better thought. I have tried a number of things over the years.

Wliebhard

Reaction score
I was at a RV shop and the guy sold me some stuff for fiberglass called Gelcoat or Gell gloss, that worked well for me. Sorry, but I cn't remember the exact name

OP
OP
L

Lola

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I wish I knew if it was faded or just coated with something...the black top has to be the worst!

There's one in my town that's shiny still. I'll have to stop the guy on the street next time I see him and ask about it. Hope he doesn't say "I always park in the shade".

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
THe best thing to use is called "Woody's Wax" that you get from a boat shop. IF you can't get that, try some STP or Armorall. That will shine it up but will attract dust quickly. If you want something more lasting, several folks have spray-painted the hardtop with rattle-can gloss black to shine it up. That lasts for a few months to a year. MY solution was to remove the top altogether, may not be what you want to do but sure is fun!!!

Desert Donk

Reaction score
I emailed 3M today to ask what they have for the textured bronco tops that do not have the smooth shiny gelcoat. They say it takes a few days to answer email and maybe longer if they have to search for the answer. If and when I get a response I'll post it here.

OP
OP
L

Lola

Reaction score
Alright, Donk!

I'm not gonna take my top off!!! I'm currently residing in Michigan and it gets a little chilly in the winters. Plus I'm modest.

OOOh I have an idea! I can take it to a custom shop and get a cloth top put on it! You know, like people put on their sedans to look like they put a nasty cloth top on their sedan!

I really really hate that look. I bet it would be even worse on a Bronco.

Desert Donk

Reaction score
Woody's Wax I guess it is. Here is the response from 3M.

Dear John,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding 3M Automotive Aftermarket Divison

products.

We market various products for the Automotive Aftermarket Industry (i.e.

adhesives, abrasives, compounds, waxes, etc).If you would like further

information on our product lines, please contact us.

At this time we do not manufacture/market the product you are inquiring

about. We suggest you check the online Thomas Register at

www.thomasregister.com for manufacturers, or various search engines on the

WWW; i.e., Google, Yahoo, Excite and Alta Vista.

Sincerely,

Marilu

3M Automotive Aftermarket Division

www.3m.com/automotive

1-877-666-2277

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23