Step Bars ....HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987BroncoProject

Reaction score
Ok this Bronco is now a 1987 body sitting on a 1988 chassis. We put a 3" body lift and a 6" suspension lift with 37" TOYO tires. One of the problems is now getting in this monster!! ha.

Ok so I took it to the off road shop and they had bought Aries step bars for it. When I came to pick it up, they said sorry the step bars don't fit because of the body lift. I was told the step bars bolt to the frame and not the body but these guys said part bolts to the frame and the mounting kit has an upper extension that bolts to the body too. They said with the body lift it doesn't fit and you don't want to go with just the frame bolt because then the step bars would "flex". The off road shop called Westin, and others to find step bars that would fit and couldn't find one. They said they can custom make one for me. I find this hard to believe because I am sure there are a lot of trucks with 6" suspension and 3" body lifts out there with STEP BARS. Am I missing something? These guys are the ones that sold me the stinkin lifts in the first place.

What do you guys think??

Krafty

Reaction score
i think you should tell them to make custom brackets to mount the step bars you bought to the body. its would just be a matter of extending the brackets that came with it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
something i seen many years ago was a chrome plated chain that was mounted throuh the drivers floor and into the drivers door. .when you would open the door the chain would drop down and it would be used as a step . i believe it was a homegrown idea but it was very creative and different. things that you do on your own using your own ideas are way more apprieciated and conversation pieces then something you buy from a store................be imaginative

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, Thanks guys for getting this thread back to the top; I have been thinking about some info and finally found it deep inside my site;

Kodiak Sidewinder automatically lowers only when you open the door to help you step into or out of your vehicle, and then retracts once you close the door. That way, it does not clutter up your SUV or truck, allowing you to preserve its good looks. The Kodiak Sidewinder is so unobtrusive that you would not even notice it when your car doors are closed.

Aside from being easy on the eyes, the Kodiak Sidewinder is also very ergonomic. It lowers the regular step-in by about eight inches, so you never strain your knees as you get in and out. Note that the step is attached to your SUV or truck's rocker panel, so the extension may vary (but only very slightly) depending on your vehicle's model.

Please avoid cutting or lengthening the arms of the step to put it in trucks and SUVs with high lifts. Modifications like this are not backed by Kodiak and may nullify the warranty. If you need to modify your Sidewinder, there are 12-inch leg extensions and side winder kits available for vehicles with lifts.

Made to last, the Kodiak Sidewinder can hold up to 350 pounds, and features a non-skid tread so you never slip. The sure-footed unit also has a reflective strip so you see it even in low lighting conditions.

The Kodiak Sidewinder also comes with all the safety features necessary. Its electronic control immediately keeps the step from retracting or extending if it touches an obstacle.

Specifications and installation

The Kodiak Sidewinder is 5 inches by X 11 inches. You can choose between two colors,? black or silver-coated finish. If you have some level of experience working with power tools, you may be able to install Kodiak Sidewinder yourself. All you need to do are simple vehicle frame drilling and wiring. Authorized retailers like ElectricStep.Com offers free downloadable installation manuals in this website.

Maintenance

The Kodiak Sidewinder should last for years and years with proper maintenance. Instructions on how you can properly grease the bearings are also available at here at ElectricStep.Com - simply download them when you buy a Kodiak Sidewinder.

http://www.electricstep.com/electricstep.asp?Action=1&k=kodiak+sidewinder&PageID=1810....

None Listed for Bronco, but this can be fabbed by a good shop or possibly modified to fit

or

AMP RESEARCH™ - F Series 99-current retracting full-length running board POWERSTEP™; is a full length automatic deployable running board that is triggered by the vehicles existing door latching system on your truck or SUV. The Board is constructed of high grade aircraft aluminum and has a texted non skip surface specifically designed to prevent any mishaps when entering or exiting the vehicle. Amp Research utilizes weatherproof motors from the top industry manufactures. Siemens, Bosch are the industries finest and continue to drive Amp Research to maintain its quality standards. Amps running boards have been tested to withstand temperatures of 200+, down to -40 degrees, and have endured vigorous salt testing from locations where climates impact road conditions. Amp Research running boards and their components are all OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) quality and adhere to strict design and manufacturing quide lines.

None Listed for Bronco, but this can be fabbed by a good shop or possibly modified to fit

Where to buy

Looking for the best price? Then you have come to the right place. Only ElectricStep.Com offers the lowest advertised price in the country.

http://www.electricstep.com/AMP-Research/pc/-Ford-PowerStep-c22.htm

or at http://www.amp-research.com/products/truckaccessories/powerstep/

Electric Step

323-276-2999

====

Try an RV store; aside from an electrically operated step, maybe spring-loaded that would pop back-up after you step off of it

or ask these folks

Power folding steps for an Early Ford Bronco from buildAbronco.com ...

► 0:34► 0:34 www.youtube.com/watch?v=di55gyjGsNY

May 30, 2012 - 34 sec - Uploaded by buildabronco

Early Ford Bronco Painless Wiring from buildAbronco.comby buildabronco243 views; Early Ford Bronco

OP
OP

1987BroncoProject

Reaction score
Hi guys... thank you all for the advice!! And Miesk5, that is an awesome video too. Sorry it took me so long to respond but I have been very sick and only now feeling better.

Cheers!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke