Steering Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burns

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get rid of my old Ford steering wheel. It's one of the thin ones, and it just doesn't feel... right. Anyone ever put a Grant GT on their cruise controled bronco? I'm sure someone has, but I'm wondering how hard it is and if I really do need all the special attatchments and adapters they claim I do. Other people told me I just need the wheel and it'll bolt right up?

Jersey

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get rid of my old Ford steering wheel. It's one of the thin ones, and it just doesn't feel... right. Anyone ever put a Grant GT on their cruise controled bronco? I'm sure someone has, but I'm wondering how hard it is and if I really do need all the special attatchments and adapters they claim I do. Other people told me I just need the wheel and it'll bolt right up?
It will probably bolt right up with no problem, cruise wont work though. Gonna need the bolt grip puller to get the old one off the shaft.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Right, that will leave you with no cruise control. That pad is a resistive pad that supplies different voltage levels to thew cruise control amplifier. Each voltage level tells it what you are expecting to it to do. I had a Grant on mine but when I installed a tilt column and added the factory cruise control components. The steering wheel thickness was an issue with me at the time, so I solved it by installing a steering wheel cover which gives the comfortable feel as a Grant.

Good luck,

:)>-

CSM_Bronco

Reaction score
i put one on mine just b4 xmas. it wasn't that hard at all. did it right in the advanced auto parking lot. you will need the steering wheel puller, and the installation kit. its pretty easy. but, just as stated by others, you will have to sacrifice your cruise control.

Jersey

Reaction score
Who needs cruise anyway, thats what bricks are for...lol

maddogv21

Reaction score
You wont need a steering wheel puller.......all you have to do is, while sitting in the drivers seat, move the seat all the way forward and put your knees up behind it. Then just take a hammer and tap on the steering shaft a few times, and the wheel should pop right off. If you worried about messing up the first couple threads, just use a brass drift or a punch right in the middle of the steering shaft.

Just thought Id throw that out there..........

Some thing I was also thinking about doing. Would it be possible to take the CC Controls, and mount them on the dash? I know they are just preasure sensors and all. Would it be possible to just run the electrical wires to behind the dash, and mount them, maybe, where the little pocket by your right knee is? Then you could have the best of both worlds, cool wheel and CC.......

Jersey

Reaction score
You wont need a steering wheel puller.......all you have to do is, while sitting in the drivers seat, move the seat all the way forward and put your knees up behind it. Then just take a hammer and tap on the steering shaft a few times, and the wheel should pop right off. If you worried about messing up the first couple threads, just use a brass drift or a punch right in the middle of the steering shaft. Just thought Id throw that out there..........

Some thing I was also thinking about doing. Would it be possible to take the CC Controls, and mount them on the dash? I know they are just preasure sensors and all. Would it be possible to just run the electrical wires to behind the dash, and mount them, maybe, where the little pocket by your right knee is? Then you could have the best of both worlds, cool wheel and CC.......
didnt think of that....... I cant think of anyreason they wouldn't work either.

black beauty

Reaction score
ok so Burns wants to put a grant wheel on his.... what about a newer ford wheel? like something off an '03 f150? i like the look of those wheels and i found a black wheel off wrecked '03. would it mount up without some kind of modification? and if the wireing harness for the cruise is different i could live without that

Jersey

Reaction score
ok so Burns wants to put a grant wheel on his.... what about a newer ford wheel? like something off an '03 f150? i like the look of those wheels and i found a black wheel off wrecked '03. would it mount up without some kind of modification? and if the wireing harness for the cruise is different i could live without that
The wiring would definately be different due to the clockspring for the airbag, I'm not sure about the mounting though. I cant see it being more than a spacer, if anything, But definately a good idea. I'll have to check into that for my 96.

maddogv21

Reaction score
Chances are it wouldnt fit, mainly because of the airbag. I guess there is only one way to find out huh? If you try it let us know how it works out

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
I HATE my cc anyway, so getting rid of the buttons wouldn't bother me at all. And I did grab a steering wheel puller a while back, on sale and just had to have one. Never know... ANyway, thanks all, I think I found a new "project," as little as it may be.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I don't get it... why would one want to give up cruise to change the feel of a steering wheel, if there is an option to have both?

I suggest change the skinny feel to a broader feel by using a leather wrapping with a little foam rubber behind it. THis way one gets both the broader feel, and maintains cruise control. Also for the Bronco enthusiasts isn't original equipment a plus?

black beauty

Reaction score
yea im definitely gonna try. of nothing else ill put the stock wheel back on. but i think it would look pretty smooth plus ive always liked the look and feel of that steering wheel. but ill be the guinea pig and try it and let everybody know how it turned out

2NDTOUR89

Reaction score
I put a Grant on mine and took it back off the next day. I even tried adapting the cruise controls with Grants kit, still no go for the cruise. I loved the little wheel but I am also lazy on trips. I also hated the fact that I finally put in the wheel but had this huge pod on the bottom of the wheel that was worthless (new switches). Maybe I will buy the standard kit and put the wheel back in without the cruise, besides, I dont take too long of trips in the Bronco anyways...

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
I put a Grant on mine and took it back off the next day. I even tried adapting the cruise controls with Grants kit, still no go for the cruise. I loved the little wheel but I am also lazy on trips. I also hated the fact that I finally put in the wheel but had this huge pod on the bottom of the wheel that was worthless (new switches). Maybe I will buy the standard kit and put the wheel back in without the cruise, besides, I dont take too long of trips in the Bronco anyways...
ok so i went all the way through this post searching for a few answeres and didnt find them. first question. what happens to the horn? does that still work in the new grant wheel some how? also, is it difficult to keep the wheel strait when you put it back on? i dont want to be driving strait down the road with the stearing wheel cocked to the side. if that makes sense.

2NDTOUR89

Reaction score
Its not all that hard to keep the wheel straight, just park in the garage/driveway and make sure it the wheel is straight when you start, line up the new one and go for it. It may take a couple of tries but usually you can get it in the first one. It does have the provisions for the horn button, just make sure you get all the stuff with the new grant wheel you buy. There should be a wheel (obviously) a mounting kit or adapter and a horn button to make the install complete. As for using your knees to pull the wheel off instead of a puller, yes you can but wear a football helmet when you do. Trust me, when it hits your nose, it isnt pretty lol. Autozone or your local parts store that you are buying the wheel from should have the remover tool for rent or buy, I think I paid like $15.00 for mine. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK