Steering wheel shake.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BronBronBronco

Reaction score
I have a 69 bronco with 3 on the tree and a 302. I had some bald tires on the Bronco so I found a great deal on a set of fairly new tires on some good rims.

After mounting the tires on the Bronco I took it for a drive down the street. About 20 miles an hour the steering wheel starts shaking so bad it feels like the front end or tire is falling off. Worse than a tire out of balance or bent rim. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also just installed a rebuilt steering column today as well.So I motored it home slowly and at very low speed its ok. I looked at the drag link and it has alot of play in it. It looks like the original as it looks like it has a spring load at the ball joint new the pitman arm. Would this cause this eratic shake? Everything else looks ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

pyro

Reaction score
I have a 69 bronco with 3 on the tree and a 302. I had some bald tires on the Bronco so I found a great deal on a set of fairly new tires on some good rims.After mounting the tires on the Bronco I took it for a drive down the street. About 20 miles an hour the steering wheel starts shaking so bad it feels like the front end or tire is falling off. Worse than a tire out of balance or bent rim. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also just installed a rebuilt steering column today as well.So I motored it home slowly and at very low speed its ok. I looked at the drag link and it has alot of play in it. It looks like the original as it looks like it has a spring load at the ball joint new the pitman arm. Would this cause this eratic shake? Everything else looks ok.
i had the same problem on my 80 but i had to change all the front bushings

OhNo50

Reaction score
If one of the new rims are bent or out of balance it could just be causing a suspension problem to be noticed or more noticable. Does the shake go away at a certain speed or does it start at 20 and just get worse?

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Sounds like you tossed a weight off a wheel. Its very common for them not to be seated all the way and they will fly off on the road.

anisend09

Reaction score
Its a pretty common issue, unfortunately. My answer to this will eventually be a re-upholstered in alcantara steering wheel rim. A guy near me

OP
OP
B

BronBronBronco

Reaction score
It turned out to be that the previous owner adjusted the manual steering box adjuster in the wrong direction (down) causing the worm gears inside to have a lot of free play. In return causing the steering wheel to shake uncontrollably at speeds above 18 mph.

I bought a steering box out of a 75 and rebuilt it. Problem solved. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23