Steering Wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_bronc

Reaction score
ive got a prob with the steering in my bronco. on the highway ill hit a bump and it'll pull to the right pretty hard. scares the **** out of me. keeps me awake though. ive had a wheel alighnment. it doesn't do it all of the time just once in awhile. the thing that has me stumped is i've checked all of the balljoints tie rods drag link etc and all are good the fluid is full. do you guys think a steering stabilizer would help. oh yeah bearing also ok. i do have a bit of a hang up when turning the pass axel by hand hopefully the warn premiums will fix that

any help would be greatly apreciated cause ill be takeing it cross country this fall

and don't want any suprises .mn to az

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sounds like you have checked most everything I can think of. I was going to suggest ball joints :wacko: . Is that hang up with your hubs engaged? If so maybe the U-joints are freezing up. If not, sounds like the hub hang might be related. It could be engaging the hub and if that is combined with U-joints that are going bad, that sure might cause you to pull to that side.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
94_bronc

94_bronc

Reaction score
nope hubs not engaged. it might be hung up some i'll figure it out when i get the new warns installed ill have to check the u joints though ill also be getting a facory repair manual with trouble shooting and tsbs this week gotta love ebay

DragonDave

Reaction score
Well you probably already ck'd this........... The radius arm bushings (the passenger side always goes 1st right next to the cat) If one is bad it knocks the caster off, could make it pull. And also the I-Beam bushings. If they are really bad when they get jolted on bumps etc they can change alignment angle and cause pull. But i'm not to sure they would cause it to stay stuck that bad to the right. I might be in the wrong ball park but I thought i'd try! GOODLUCK! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Seabronc

Reaction score
By the hub engaging on a bump, I didn't mean fully. That hang might mean that the splines are right on the edge of engaging ana jolt might cause it to grab hold for a few seconds. That combined with U-joints going bad could cause a pull to that side. When I first got my vehicle I had a problem with the passenger side hub doing something similar, except I actually heard the problem. Inchecking the hubs I found a spring installed in the wrong position putting pressure on the spline to engage it. The spring is supposed to push the splines apart, but it was trying to push them together :wacko: .

Good luck,

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
What tires do you run? Some will grip/grab a crack in the road and want to follow it. If you feel you have slop in the steering it could be in the steering box. With the vehicle off have somone turn the steering wheel back and forth lightly until you feel tension in either direction. Look at the steering shaft and see if the pitman arm off the box is moving the same as the shaft. If not the gears are worn out. There might be an adjustment ***** on top of the box to help take out the slop. Only turn it 1/2 turn at a time and go drive it inbetween so you don't over tighten it. You don't want it super tight or the gears will wear even quicker. While the steering is being moved back and forth look at the tie-rods and trac bar bushings for movement.

OP
OP
94_bronc

94_bronc

Reaction score
well guys i fingered it out my manual hub on the pass side is wasted so when i went a round a corner at speed it would lock and scare the crap out of me.

warn premiums damn i hate waiting for delivery should be here monday so that'll take care or that

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
94_bronc

94_bronc

Reaction score
also fiqured out what caused the hub to fail a sezed u joint in the front end almost cost my my new hubs

Seabronc

Reaction score
Hmmmmm! Sounds just like the problem I described in my first post on this topic :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . Told ya so, ya gotta listen to the old man :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Glad you sorted it out :D/ .

Good luck,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23