Speedo not working hard shifting & abs light on HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8vettes

Reaction score
Im new to this site but not to Broncos. Im proud to say im still driving my 1994 purchased new in 1994 EB Bronco. I absolutely love my truck and plan on keeping her as long as im still breathing. She is totally original except for wear items . Mobil 1 every 3-4000 miles tranny every 35000 and has lived in the garage since new .about 140000k miles now and NOW her first real problem . I hope someone can help
I drove her to the store last friday with no issues at all but when i came, back out and started to drive home the tranny banged into gear and the motor revved quite abit and at the same time I noticed the speedo not working and the small abs light in the right corner of the dash was on . I checked some websites and thought it was the vss in rear diff . But no luck i used a motorcraft DY- 1123 unit that did not fix any of the issues but after looking into the info more noticed the amazon store said it was not correct for my Bronco ultimately i found one that was listed for mine and am waiting on delivery. If the new results are the same with the newly ordered part anyone have a clue to my problem and how to fix it.
I dont like to admit that im getting older and going under the Bronco is getting more difficult but it is what it is so im hoping for the right fix and its something i can still do thank you all in advance

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo 8,
Welcome!
Had same issue in our 96!
4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass for PSOM Operation due to Bad 4WABS Control Module; "...jumper 14 to 21, & 39 to 22..." MIESK5 NOTE;. I did this on our 96; The 4WABS control module was toast due to 2 microprocessor failures...
ABSConnectorw-jumpers.jpg

by Turbo Ghost
Locations of the connectors along the path from VSS to 4WABS and up to Instr Cluster & PSOM are;
C404 VSS On rear axle sensor (A7) Terminals: 02

wmvss94bronco-jpg.jpg

Al

Attachments

• 1575851902230.png
    1575851902230.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP

8vettes

Reaction score
Thanks miesk
Can you bottle feed me on this
Where do I find this module and can I get new or do I have to repair or jump this one and what if any functions will I lose
Also can I fix what caused this to fail thanks

OP
OP

8vettes

Reaction score
Also I’m not very good at reading schematics thank you again for your input and patience

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
I understand.
Find a repair shop and show them my reply and see if they understand it. Otherwise try local Ford dealership,
Best to you!

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks miesk
Can you bottle feed me on this
Where do I find this module and can I get new or do I have to repair or jump this one and what if any functions will I lose
Also can I fix what caused this to fail thanks

ABS module is under the washer bottle. look for Broken wires for starters :)

OP
OP

8vettes

Reaction score
ABS module is under the washer bottle. look for Broken wires for starters :)
Thanks skitter i really dont have any shop near me that i trust to work on my bronco so i would really like to fix this myself
I just got a different vss that i will try today and if it dosen't fix i will pull the bottle and go from there thanks for that xtra info
I know miesk is trying to help but its seems easy when you know how but its a bit intimidating for first timers ill post my results and thanks again

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo 8,
I had issues posting here again, but all is better now.

4WABS Control Module Removal in 93-96; "...Disconnect the plug from it, remove the 10mm bolt holding it in and slide it out of the keyway"
Source: by Froggmann (Ken P) @
4WABS Control Module Removal in 93-96; "...Disconnect battery positive cable.
  1. Locate anti-lock brake electronic control module at left front fender apron. Disconnect 40-pin connector from anti-lock brake electronic control module.​
  1. Remove screws retaining anti-lock brake electronic control module to mounting bracket.
  1. Gently slide anti-lock brake electronic control module along bracket and remove anti-lock brake electronic control module.
Installation
  1. Insert rivet into large hole portion of teardrop. Gently slide anti-lock brake electronic control module along bracket to engage rivet.
  1. Install retaining ***** and tighten to 7-9 Nm (62-80 lb-in).
  1. Connect 40-pin connector and tighten bolt to 6-7 Nm (53-62 lb-in).
  1. NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.
    Connect battery positive cable." by Ford

Contact for possible remanufactured 94 bronco 4WABS CONTROL MODULES @ http://www.bba-reman.com/us/catalogue/parts/84/
Very GOOD REVIEWS FOR OTHER COMPONENTS!

4WABS Control Module Bypass for PSOM Operation due to Bad 4WABS Control Module at 4WABS Module Connector; "...jumper 14 (CKT 530, LG/Y)to 21 (CKT 519 (LG/BK) & 39 (CKT 491 (O/LB)to 22 (CKT 523, R/PK)..."
Source: by Turbo Ghost

Attachments

• 4wabshcu.jpg
    4wabshcu.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP

8vettes

Reaction score
Hi Minsk pulled the modual but what did you jump them with no wire I have stays in holes
Thanks

OP
OP

8vettes

Reaction score
Well got the test done with jump those wires and speedo is back and shifting great
Where can I get a new modual and is it a easy install
And thank you Miesk you called it thank you glad I don’t have to take it to one of the local mechanics who might have made things worse now for the repair

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Well got the test done with jump those wires and speedo is back and shifting great
Where can I get a new modual and is it a easy install
And thank you Miesk you called it thank you glad I don’t have to take it to one of the local mechanics who might have made things worse now for the repair
Yo 8,
GREAT!
yw!
Call ABS pumps/controllers/modulators | Ford | Online catalogue | United States | BBA Reman
How to contact BBA Reman in the US
HOW TO CONTACT BBA-REMAN

US Office

BBA Remanufacturing Inc
300 Myles Standish Blvd
Taunton, MA 02780
Toll Free: 1 844-875-2554
Local: 1 (866) 573-2740
Fax: 1 (508) 822-4491
email: [email protected]
Please include this form with all repairs sent to BBA

To avoid any delays please send your unit in an unmarked box: failure to do so will incur delays with our courier. For example, you cannot use any boxes that have been previously used to transport aerosol cans, flammable liquids or any other form of hazardous material!!
Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time (GMT-5)
They are a good reman Ford 4WABS Control Modules & Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) Sources;
Babaganoosh wrote; "...BBA did the rebuilds on ABS Modules for my old VW/Audi Shop. They were super inexpensive, fast, friendly, and only had one issue with them ever and it was 50% my fault anyways (keep in mind it's VW stuff anyways...". by consensus the best re man 4WABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU)s are from bba-reman.com; BBA quotes $200 plus shipping for repair of my HCU; "It usually takes about 3 days from receipt to repair..."

Part Number: F4TZ2C018A
ECU Type: Refurbished ABS for a Ford Bronco

Note: May fit other vehicles.
➡️$525.00
Programming: Likely needs to be Programmed by a Dealer miesk5 Note, this programing not needed!

Other Information
  • ➡️Core Refund: Price includes a $100 refundable core deposit.
  • Warranty: Includes a 1-Year Limited Warranty.
  • Timing: If you order by 3:30PM EST, Monday - Friday, all in stock items will be shipped the same day. Choose your shipping option at checkout.
  • Misdiagnosis Fee: Are you not sure what the problem is? Use our part to test your diagnosis. If you need to return the part, only pay a $75 restocking fee + S&H.
Questions? Call 800.900.0194

As many other owners have discovered, Raybestos often stops reman of the 4WABS HYD units & Control Modules;
Try @ https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/en-us/catalog-part-search
I believe they provide to Cardone.

NEED HELP? CALL US RIGHT NOW AT 1-800-777-4780
MY CARDONE LOGIN

Al

Bronco217

Reaction score
@miesk5 I joined this forum because of this question and answer. Ha. My 95 5.8 just started doing this very same thing today. Worked great when I drove it across town and then on the way back it suddenly started shifting hard, ABS light came on, OD light on gear shift flashing and speedo/odo stopped working. Can you answer a question for me? What is the right Ford part # for the VSS on the rear diff? I want to start there but when I searched the Ford parts website and they say that part #F85Z 2L373-AB does not fit my Bronco? Any help is appreciated, I've had no other issues with my 95 until this afternoon. Thanks...

Last edited:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Bronco217,
Confirm with local Ford dealership parts dept.
Ford and suppliers have screwed up tge6 parts data bases, mainly due to the age of our Broncos.

FORD F85Z-2L373-AC
Screenshot_20200701-140608.jpg

Screenshot_20200701-140137.jpg

Bronco217

Reaction score
@miesk5 Thank you. I am hoping this is the fix and there is nothing else wrong. It just came out of left field after no other issues. It'll be a few days before I can get it in to fix, I'll keep you posted.

Joolz

Reaction score
Im new to this site but not to Broncos. Im proud to say im still driving my 1994 purchased new in 1994 EB Bronco. I absolutely love my truck and plan on keeping her as long as im still breathing. She is totally original except for wear items . Mobil 1 every 3-4000 miles tranny every 35000 and has lived in the garage since new .about 140000k miles now and NOW her first real problem . I hope someone can help
I drove her to the store last friday with no issues at all but when i came, back out and started to drive home the tranny banged into gear and the motor revved quite abit and at the same time I noticed the speedo not working and the small abs light in the right corner of the dash was on . I checked some websites and thought it was the vss in rear diff . But no luck i used a motorcraft DY- 1123 unit that did not fix any of the issues but after looking into the info more noticed the amazon store said it was not correct for my Bronco ultimately i found one that was listed for mine and am waiting on delivery. If the new results are the same with the newly ordered part anyone have a clue to my problem and how to fix it.
I dont like to admit that im getting older and going under the Bronco is getting more difficult but it is what it is so im hoping for the right fix and its something i can still do thank you all in advance
Hi, I've had my 93 Bronco for 17years & I had the same problem, not all the time but 2 of 3 times a year my transmission would shift hard & my speedometer would stop. Then I was asking around & someone told me that it was my speed sensor, which most Broncos would be in the transmission, but it course mine happen to be in my differential, real easy to change. It still happens about once a year, but not enough for me to worry about it. So, I hope this helps.

Bronco217

Reaction score
@miesk5 So mine was not the VSS. I had it replaced today and same thing. Found out it was popping the fuse. Replaced the fuse and the ABS light went out. Shifted into reverse, light came on immediately. Looked under the hood and the fuse popped again so I have a short somewhere. 😫

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Shifted into reverse, light came on immediately.

Wasn't there a deal in the steering column where it rubbed through the harness and popped the fuse in reverse only? I can't remember but seems familiar.

Never the less, looks like a good direction. Start unplugging stuff until the #18 fuse doesn't pop putting it in revers.

Bronco217

Reaction score
So it is not the 18 fuse for me, the fuse that keeps popping for me is under the hood. Still searching...

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke