Spare tire holder bump stop.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoFloBronco

Reaction score
I assume this bump stop on the bottom of the spare tire holder is supposed to be closer to the tailgate. If so, is it supposed to be touching the tailgate or should it be off a distance? Also, anyone have a clever idea of how to bend this back into proper position? I tried a large pipe wrench but the steel was way too thick to get the leverage that would be needed to bend it.

TIre rack bump stop.jpg

OP
OP
S

SoFloBronco

Reaction score
Yes. I am hoping I don't have to remove it completely to straighten this but I don't know how to get enough leverage on it while it is mounted.

chrlsful

Reaction score
"leave well enuff alone" I'd say.
Lots of energy into an actully good thing (it is not rubbin paint off, scouring the steel panel, stressin, etc).
8^ 0

Broncosandpartsgarage

Reaction score
I assume this bump stop on the bottom of the spare tire holder is supposed to be closer to the tailgate. If so, is it supposed to be touching the tailgate or should it be off a distance? Also, anyone have a clever idea of how to bend this back into proper position? I tried a large pipe wrench but the steel was way too thick to get the leverage that would be needed to bend it.

View attachment 28666
The bump stops and barely touch the tailgate. From the factory there was a piece of mylar or clear film that protected your paint.

cpb81

Reaction score
The bump stops and barely touch the tailgate. From the factory there was a piece of mylar or clear film that protected your paint.
I would think again of using a pipe wrench to try and bend the steel while still attached to the truck. I would take to a body shop, and have them bend the steel piece closer to the rear body of Bronco, as my truck has the bump stop meeting the rear exactly when closed--just touching.. The metal on the Bronco rear is not overly strong holding the heavy tire carrier. My spare tire has never been taken off, and after this discussion, I was surprised with a bird nest inside the tire.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar