Solid Axle Coversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocalabronco

Reaction score
This is not meant to be the SAS bible, but rather a "cliff's notes" for this swap. First before you even consider engaging in this extensive modification, you need to ask yourself if you really need it. For the everyday, average wheeler, the TTB is fine. a simple investment in a lifetime alignment plan. The TTB has its place, and will hold up to 36" tires with smart driving and proper maintenance. Now, with all that said, I'll get on with the info/writeup.

1/2 TON PARTS

First, you will need to get a hold of a Dana 44 front. most of these came from f-150's and broncos, but some F-250's had leaf sprung axles, refered to Dana 44 Heavy Dutys. these axle had 8 lug outers, with a matching 8 lug D60 out back. for ease and simplicity, find a coil sprung axle, since our broncos are already setup to run coils. For a clean looking swap, you'll need to acquire the upper coil buckets, radius arms (should come with the lower coil retainers), and radius arm brackets. you will more than likely have to fabricate your own track bar bracket at the frame. you CAN re-use the stock track bar, but some prefer to use aftermarket ones or make theirs custom out of DOM tubing. Most people like to use shock mounts from a mid 90's f-250 or 350, because they allow for the use of double eyelet shocks, instead of the crappy stud mount shocks that come factory on our rigs. this opens up a wide possibility of shocks to use.

3/4 TON PARTS

most of the above applies here, with the exception that your parts will come from a 78/79 f-250 with the D60 rear. the front comes with leafs that you more than likely will not re-use. refer to the one ton section for info on that.

ONE TON PARTS

This will consist of a leaf sprung D60 front and one of many 1 ton rear ends. if you have a 92 or later, you must use a sterling 10.25 or modify a D60 or D70 to accept a tone ring so the E4OD can read the signals coming from the VSS. for this, you will have to fabricate a front crossmember to mount the front leaf spring hangers or shackles to. some people mount their shackles on the front xmember, others do a shackle reversal at the aft section of the spring. for more in depth information, visit the SAS forum at fullsizebronco.com and read the stickies at the top of the page. this axle will come from any f-350 from 77 to 97, but there are slight differences. the 77-79 60's had a narrower mounting distance than the newer axles, because the frames in the early days were straight, as opposed to later frames that widened at the motor. this isnt to say you can use them, but make your mounts accordingly.

i'll add more to this later. im tired now. PM me with specific questions and i'll try to answer them. and please, READ THIS FIRST

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Pinned per your request. Very good info on the SAS basics. Anyone considering the SAS should thoroughly research the install and understand both the parts and modifications needed. Thanks to Ocalabronco for the post, JSM84

Edit 10/01/06:

I have completed the SAS using a Dana60 front and Sterling 10.25" rear axles from a 88 F-350. Pics are at my supermotors.net gallery, and I also have a thread in the 80-96 Bronco forum. JSM84

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...#092;&st=20

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke