Soft Top excitement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadkill

Reaction score
That's a pretty cool idea you have there and the work looks clean as well. I really like the idea of being able to put the inside trim pieces back on with the soft top. The only thing I don't like about mine is the way all the hardware is exposed on the inside when its closed up. How do plan to keep water from getting under the leading edge of the soft top and running into the inside?

OP
OP
Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
Wileec, I am dying to! I don't have the hard top off yet I am going to need a friend to help me get it off.

Roadkill, I am going to use a weather strip I think. I have all the body rubber welt from the donor Bronco as well. The trim from the donor is black and at first I was going to paint it gray to match my interior but holding it up it will be a nice contrast and add to the look of the body when the top is down. It will have to be trimmed out to allow the bow mount to function.

More to come! I have to work all day Saturday when I was wanting to finish the project.

OP
OP
Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
Sorry to leave you hanging. The frame is ready and the soft top is mounted to it. Unfortunately the daughter broke the family camera. I have a lesser unit I will be using for more shots. Also I have been working too hard and too long to get the darn thing on.

I have one quandary about my seat belt and hanger, I wanted to take it loose from the floor. I have a good torx socket (3/8 drive) but the thing will not turn, I used a 18" breaker bar and still no turning action except for the torx tool twisting a bit. Any good ideas on what to do with them hangers while the soft top is on?

Roadkill

Reaction score
When my top is off, I just tuck all the shoulder belt stuff into the side storage compartments. They stay tucked away neat and out of sight. I have no children riding in the back, so the center belt is enough for the ocasional extra person in the truck.

I'm pretty sure that the pre-'92 back seats had all three lap belts mounted directly to the seat. If so, an older back seat to use when the top is off could be your answer. (Just leave the shoulder belts hooked to the floor) It's worth a trip to the junk yard to see. B)

Last edited by a moderator:

wileec

Reaction score
I use the brackets they ship with child seats to hold the belt tight. To do just that, set each side up for the right lenght for the kids seems to me to be as safe as the lap belt are. I just let the hanger... well hang, It is down at the sides of the seat. I met a guy wheeling the other weekend who is starting a Fab business and would like to get some full size clients talked to him about a family style cage, then I could set up the belts correctly. I would be much more confortable that way.

OP
OP
Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
AT LAST!!! I got the project finished! I used the donor Bronco top like I wanted and the trimmings inside look great. I stayed with black on the side trimmers to look like the body ring and it adds a nice contrast. I used some coterless hitch pins so I can remove the bars and all quickly. Also I used my own design for the webbing and stretching using quick release buckles. I built a quick release tailgate snap bar as well out of 1" square tube 1/8" wall so it can take some pressure. I used the donor's rubber welt to trim out the old window channel. I like the safari mode best as it offers shelter for the back seat rider and is easiest to quickly convert.

I hope you enjoy looking at these as much as I enjoy looking at your shots of our passion for all things Bronco, the coolest 4x4 vehicle ever built.

View attachment 5064

IMGP0984.JPG

IMGP0985.JPG

IMGP0987.JPG

IMGP0991.JPG

IMGP0998.JPG

IMGP1008.JPG

IMGP1011.JPG

IMGP1012.JPG

IMGP1007.JPG

Roadkill

Reaction score
Nice work!
NyXg9optMb.gif

Incorporating those interior trim pieces is a very classy touch. I don't think my "Fast Track" style top would lend itself very well to use with a cut down hard top, but finding a way to use the trim pieces with my top is now on my "to-do" list. That list just keeps getting longer and longer!

wileec

Reaction score
Jed,

That looks GREAT. I love your insight and inventivness with the old top. With that set up I doubt that you will ever put your old hard top back on.

BTW-I wish my body was as clean as yours.

OP
OP
Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I hope everyone enjoyed me sharing my project with you as much as I liked doing/sharing it. I really should write more details about the photos and what I was doing. By the way if anyone needs the window glass and trim for a hard top I will send it to you for the shipping cost. They are factory tinted dark from a 1990 xlt.

Last edited by a moderator:

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
That is awesome! I love the idea of using a doner hard top for trim. I have wanted to run my 1984 ******* but hate the way the edging looks so unfinished under the topper. Now I need to find me a top to paly with.

As for the deal on the soft top...once in a lifetime bro...once in a lifetime! Congratulations.

Rick in Orlando

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23