So I got this crazy idea...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wishmeluck

Reaction score
SO many of the dash pads in our beloved vehicles are all broken and ratted out right were that stupid middle speaker went.

I have a friend with an Audi A3 with the pop-up dash screen and I've loved them (dash pop-up screens...ok, maybe Audi's too lol) since 2013 when I first saw it.

I just so happen to have a spare dash pad laying around and was toiling with the idea of fiberglassing over all the cracks and broken out speaker hole to see how it would turn out.

Then I had an idea...Its a few years past 2013 and those Audi's (parts too) are a littel more readily available and cheaper than they used to be...see where I'm going here??

Ive looked at them and from what I can tell it looks like the screen just sits in a tray that fits into a hole in the dash...add wiring + power + head unit somewhere and VIOLA... pop-up screen and no more ugly dash speaker remnants!!!

Anyone have thoughts on the feasability of this, or even better completed a mod like this??

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't seen anything like that yet.

The idea is sound. LOL, get it, sound.

I wonder how easy it will be to read the display up there in the sun like that?

There should be plenty of room for it.

Doesn't even have to be from an audi, can probably mod it for any tablet.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
SO many of the dash pads in our beloved vehicles are all broken and ratted out right were that stupid middle speaker went.

I have a friend with an Audi A3 with the pop-up dash screen and I've loved them (dash pop-up screens...ok, maybe Audi's too lol) since 2013 when I first saw it.

I just so happen to have a spare dash pad laying around and was toiling with the idea of fiberglassing over all the cracks and broken out speaker hole to see how it would turn out.

Then I had an idea...Its a few years past 2013 and those Audi's (parts too) are a littel more readily available and cheaper than they used to be...see where I'm going here??

Ive looked at them and from what I can tell it looks like the screen just sits in a tray that fits into a hole in the dash...add wiring + power + head unit somewhere and VIOLA... pop-up screen and no more ugly dash speaker remnants!!!

Anyone have thoughts on the feasability of this, or even better completed a mod like this??
Interesting Idea for sure. I'd look for something aftermarket though. I have run into all sorts of issues with components requiring access to the factory data lines for the info they require to operate. (Thats one of the reasons my 79 restomod has a 2003 system running the powertrain)
Sometimes that stuff operated stand alone, but not very often, and very unlikely in an Audi.
The seats I'm putting in my 79 are from a newer Q8 and I can make them move with power and ground, but I need the audi data stream to make the heaters and memory functions work.
Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.
Cheers

WABronc

Reaction score
When you say dash pad, what is being referred to? And are you saying there is usually a speaker mounted somewhere in the dash?

edit: I had no trouble mounting this floating screen right into the single din on my '94 sony xav-ax-8000 and I love it. I couldn't live without google maps / apple car play. Screen glare is a bit of an issue and I tried a screen protector but it doesn't cut the glare as much as I would like.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK