Simple ? about brake drums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Thanks, AT. I need another drum for the 9" in the 79 Bronco, and I have a couple of 'junk' 8.8" truck axles in the weeds. I know the lug spacing and bolt pattern is the same (5x5.5"), as is the brake shoe size (11"). While I believe the axle ****** size is not the same, the 8.8" drums should fit the 9" axles. JSM84

shift1313

Reaction score
i believe everything for our trucks should be fine but werent the early 28 spline 9" axles different? Ive never put two together but ive just restored a 71f100 and just looking at those i would have said no. good info to know for the future though.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Well, the 8.8" drum fit right on to the new shoes and axle on the 9". I did notice that there is a ring, or raised circle, on the outside of the axle ******, which the drum center hole fits around. The center hole on the 8.8" drum is about 1/2" diameter larger, so it fits the smaller-diameter ring on the 9" axle. i don't think it would work the other way, fitting a 9" drum on a 8.8" axle, due to this one difference. JSM84

shift1313

Reaction score
these drums arent supposed to be hubcenteric are they? meaning that raised section in the center is what aligns the hub to the axle. If i recall the studs have a little play through the drum on the 8.8 but were pretty tight on the 9"

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23