Shocking Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RR-Texas

Reaction score
I have been checking prices on shocks, right now 4Wheel Parts has a deal going buy 4 and get a rebate. I am thinking about getting Rancho 5000, they are ever cheaper then I can get through work. Question I am looking for a smooth highway ride, (right now) I am not a big mudder or trail guy, I am gonna load it up with camera gear and cute women and go shooting!

Any thoughts on these shocks or other suggestions? I think the ones on it are original, rides like my rigid frame bike! Figure I will get the front 4 now and check out the rear later.

Thanks

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Go to (click on) How to, tech. articles & reviews at the near/top of home page.

Check out my article (3rd. one down) "Shocking, just shocking"

May help you make a decision. :-"

Last edited by a moderator:

Krafty

Reaction score
Shocks just like anything else suspension related "you get what you pay for" I just put $400 worth of front quad shocks on my 93 f150 and it hasn't ever felt this smooth and tight before.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Smooth ride is moreso dependent on springs and their condition which is suspect after all these years.

Replacement Springs Review in a 96; "I posted a while back asking about stock replacement springs for the Bronco that would ease some of the abuse we endure. I decided to attack the front coils first since they were cheaper and I thought they would be easier to replace than the leafs (at least they were on my '72). Well, a few skinned knuckles and 3 hours later I have new MOOG® 820 model stock replacement springs installed. The first side wasn't easy to remove or replace, but they second side only took 30 minutes after I learned the process. I have a 5.8L engine and the MOOG® product spec says the 820's are designed for the additional weight of the 5.8L vs. the 5.0L. They designed the 818's for the 5.0L. If you decide to do this I will give you a few pointers on the removal and installation. If you are running a front anti-sway bar then you should unbolt the frame mounts on both sides before you remove the tires. This will allow for the additional axle droop needed to drop the coil springs out of the mounts. Also you must disconnect the shocks to also allow for the additional droop. You will need a 1-1/8" socket to remove the lower hold-down nut. A regular socket will do, but a deep socket will work better. Clean out all the dirt and mud around that lower hold-down nut and spray with penetrating oil a few days before the attempt. I think they contracted Hercules to tighten them at Ford. Either use coil spring compressors to shorten the springs for removal and installation or use a hi-lift jack to raise the frame up a bunch. The 820's are an improvement over the stock springs. I won't say that it rides like a newer Ford pickup, but it is much better. The 820's take off the biting thump that the stock springs provide when running over anything larger than an acorn. The variable rate MOOG® 820's are soft enough to absorb that bite, but they don't sag when you roll into a corner. I can say that I would recommend them especially for the price. I found them for $68 including shipping on Amazon. Plus $9.98 for a deep 1-1/8" socket still is a cheap install. They raised the front end up 1-5/8" but that was probably more due to tired front springs than the new springs being taller. I have a feeling installing the 818's with the 5.8L would arrive at the same ride height, but I don't know for sure. All in all I would recommend the investment if you enjoy retaining your dental fillings. No pictures...sorry." miesk5 Note; it is MOOG® CC820 Variable Rate Coil Spring and still available via AMAZON @ $73.52 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping as of OCT 2012; it fits 80-96 Bronco 5.0 & 5.8 w/o DUAL SHOCK OPTION; as well as many trucks & vans

Source: by scottmcwms

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Thanks Bully, Krafty & miesk5 you guys are always pointing me in the right direction! I guess I should Search more, as I know i am not the first to ask these questions, but thanks for the replies!

I am trying to do as much as I can afford right now to ensure I hav a good starting place! The mechanic in me, saves every receipt, etc to show what has been done maint. wise, a lot of people do not. And since I need to do some work to both bikes (parts usually cost more for them) I want to get the truck in as good a shape as I can!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo