sheet metal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wtfdissux

Reaction score
anyone know where to get sheet metal for body work? the only thing I have found is 1/4 inch plate. with gas mileage the last thing I want is more poundage but dont want to do the floors ever again. What gauge is good and any ideas on a national type company or one in western New York from whom to purchase it from ?

I need to do the entire floor front to back unless I find a good body tub and then the a and b pillars along with the core support and all body mounts worst part is this is my DD and need to get to/from work every day until Istart the project and might have a ride while doing it but cannot do it at home so its gonna be fun

also anyone know of a "template" for the floor that I can copy insted of winging it as that would make it more of a rip and weld in job than a cut cut cut tack and then start over cuz I measured wrong kind of job :wacko:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You can buy floorpans and body patch panels from JBg or LMC Truck, or get some 16-gauge sheetmetal from a local metal/welding suply. If you have a salvage yard nearby, you may also be able to cut out pieces with a Sawz-all for what you need. If you can't weld the panels, try the 3M body seam adhesive, JSM84

OP
OP
W

wtfdissux

Reaction score
You can buy floorpans and body patch panels from JBg or LMC Truck, or get some 16-gauge sheetmetal from a local metal/welding suply. If you have a salvage yard nearby, you may also be able to cut out pieces with a Sawz-all for what you need. If you can't weld the panels, try the 3M body seam adhesive, JSM84
I wish I could find the replacement panels but what I need the most is the cargo area in particular in between the frame rails and the outside edge and along the back edge I now have a hole the size of a foot ball in the left rear corner of the floor and on the angled portion in front of the back seat I am even willing to buy a complete tub but have not been able find most of the parts I need so am going to have to make as I go

also when I do this should I put the new under the old above the old or both? ( I am going to rhino line the entire floor inside and out so looks wont be an issue)

Seabronc

Reaction score
I wish I could find the replacement panels but what I need the most is the cargo area in particular in between the frame rails and the outside edge and along the back edge I now have a hole the size of a foot ball in the left rear corner of the floor and on the angled portion in front of the back seat I am even willing to buy a complete tub but have not been able find most of the parts I need so am going to have to make as I go
also when I do this should I put the new under the old above the old or both? ( I am going to rhino line the entire floor inside and out so looks wont be an issue)
Make sure you cut out all the old rust or it will be back, Once it is out the fabricated piece can be attached on either side. I would put it on the inside and make sure you seal the edges on the outside. I did this with my lower quarter panels about 4 years ago and sealed the edge that faces the wheel well with silicone caulk. I have checked on it about every 6 months. To date there has been no new rusting.

I also made my own mud guards for the wheel wells since the Ford ones **** and have places the mud and water can shoot by, did you ever wonder why the rear door post rots out on Broncos or the rear corner of the quarter panel? Just look at the mud guards, they have a slot in front and in back that let your tires sling crap right past them. The mud and water get into the post and back into the hardware inside the rear quarter panels and set there causing them to rust and rot. A simple fix for the future is stop the crap from getting into those spots.

Good luck on the project,

:)>-

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
anyone know where to get sheet metal for body work? the only thing I have found is 1/4 inch plate. with gas mileage the last thing I want is more poundage but dont want to do the floors ever again. What gauge is good and any ideas on a national type company or one in western New York from whom to purchase it from ?I need to do the entire floor front to back unless I find a good body tub and then the a and b pillars along with the core support and all body mounts worst part is this is my DD and need to get to/from work every day until Istart the project and might have a ride while doing it but cannot do it at home so its gonna be fun

also anyone know of a "template" for the floor that I can copy insted of winging it as that would make it more of a rip and weld in job than a cut cut cut tack and then start over cuz I measured wrong kind of job :wacko:
yo, Look in your other post here for the sources I listed for you for almost if not all the panels;

yo!

Look here;

Jeff's Broncograveyard

and:

Mill Supply:

http://www.rustrepair.com/repair_panels/on...mp;p=sm-ford.pu

http://www.tri-proautomotive.com/servlet/t...onco/Categories

http://www.autostyles.com/bpbronco8096.htm

GL!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
W

wtfdissux

Reaction score
two parter

first: I did check the links and found some of the pieces but am hoping to find a rear cargo floor (1 piece so its not going to go in like a jigsaw puzzle)

second: I was going to replace the fuel pump while I was in there then came up with a new idea why not just cut an acess hole above it and make a cover plate that screws down to the floor that way if or when it becomes a problem the hardest part will be pulling up the carpet

I am really hopeing to get started on this soon as now I can feel the body shift on turns so I need to get another POS beater in a hurry sux as the only thing I have come accros is a 4 door 95 blazer for 700 or a 89 fullsize blazer for 1200 but it has a new motor and tranny in a southern body the guy just cant deel with the gas cost

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
two parterfirst: I did check the links and found some of the pieces but am hoping to find a rear cargo floor (1 piece so its not going to go in like a jigsaw puzzle)

second: I was going to replace the fuel pump while I was in there then came up with a new idea why not just cut an acess hole above it and make a cover plate that screws down to the floor that way if or when it becomes a problem the hardest part will be pulling up the carpet

I am really hopeing to get started on this soon as now I can feel the body shift on turns so I need to get another POS beater in a hurry sux as the only thing I have come accros is a 4 door 95 blazer for 700 or a 89 fullsize blazer for 1200 but it has a new motor and tranny in a southern body the guy just cant deel with the gas cost

ok, But I did not see a reply from you in that thread.....so I figuered I'd let you know in this thread

haven't seen a full pan replacement exc for early Broncos and that part did not cover inner wheel arch or B pillar areas, mainly due to fit issues

have seen some guys use any free sheet metal (18 ga) such as junk yard hoods, etc to patch the pan, esp when $ are scarce.

here are a few floor pan cut out tech Links in my site w/measurements

Fuel Pump Cut-out Measurements for Fuel Pump/Sender Replacement

and a nice body mount diagram w/parts list by LMC

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
W

wtfdissux

Reaction score
Sorry I thought I did reply to that one my home Internet cuts out a lot, my bad.

well had a chance to get a good look at the underside today. It looks like ALL the seems are going or gone.

In the drivers side rear there is even a rip that goes up almost to the top of the wheel well. Along the back the rear-most sub-frame is pretty much gone to the point that when I pull up on the quarter panels they go up and the gate and area in front of it stay put. The drivers side rocker panel also has dropped down almost an inch and I don't know what is keeping it from falling off.

this all leads me to more questions. How do I lift the body sides up to the floor so I can weld the patches in? Also since the body mounts are shot is it possible to replace them in twos starting in the back and finish with the new core support in front? The reason for the second question is that the apartment complex I live in now states that anyone working on their cars in the parking lots can get evicted.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds likeour days too in a big city where the residential streets were built for horse/carriage...

Try jacking up the sides up and using anything good enuf to hold them in place; jack stands, etc. hard part is pulling the sides into position - "squaring it all up"

Sq tubing to replace/supplement the under-bed rails;

body mounts - from what I can recall of the rust damage there, is there sufficient metal left to install new mounts?

anyway, do what you wrote, install in pairs and checking for good enuf alignment of the body sides to inner wheel well; "inner quarter panels" (never saw what Ford describes this as....) and floor bed (rear), etc.

Thinking of when we patched a few old cars/trucks back in the day....maybe use a pop rivet gun to hold sections in place, then weld? also, sq tubing or as when our $ were scarce, using bed frame sections to tie both inner 1/4 panels together - running on top of bed...use bolts and nuts...see what you can grab for free on trash day or at a local yard.

Can you get to a welding machine or have a local DIY garage such as on Mil Bases?

gl!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23