Screaming power steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael1989

Reaction score
I just replaced the power steering gear and both return and pressure lines. I started the engine and when I turn the wheel its makes a loud winding sound and the fluid gets pink and foamy. Im worried I will ***** up the gear I just replaced. Is the pump bad? Why is it foaming? How do I fix this

Seabronc

Reaction score
What did you use for PS fluid?

peace.gif

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Sounds like you started the system with too little fluid.

Let it sit for the bubbles to settle, ( like the foam when you pour a soda...but it takes alot longer to settle.)

add fluid and let the engine idle without turning the wheel. After about 5 min. check the fluid and add if needed. Then you can slowly turn the wheel lock to lock. That should get the air out. If not repeat the procedure.

Good Luck

OP
OP
michael1989

michael1989

Reaction score
Sounds like you started the system with too little fluid.

Let it sit for the bubbles to settle, ( like the foam when you pour a soda...but it takes alot longer to settle.)

add fluid and let the engine idle without turning the wheel. After about 5 min. check the fluid and add if needed. Then you can slowly turn the wheel lock to lock. That should get the air out. If not repeat the procedure.

Good Luck
Hey thanks guys, I got it fixed. It was a loose fitting in the return line which was allowing air in and mixing with the fluid. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj