running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gibbs

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Eddie Bauer bronco 2 questions; #1 does anyone have an idea where i can get the brackets (looks like a piece of bent pipe) that holds the running boards to the frame. #2 i picked up a torsion bar for the tailgate at the bone yard, how dificult is this to replace the old one snapped in half. boy those tailgates are heavy! thanx for the help. gibbs

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
The torsion bar isn't hard to replace but you will need an extra set of hands and a cheater pipe to get it loaded and set back into place...Last one we did was on a new replacment shell so you might check the manuel i think they suggest removal of all internal parts...We swapped everything over afterwards....

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
The easiest way is to remove the window and regulator so they are not in your way. Since you took one from another tail gate you probably know that already. If they got it for you, then there are a couple of clamps holding it in the bottom of the tailgate. When you get ready to connect it to the passenger side of the tail gate support, the easiest way is to take one bolt out of the loop it goes through, loosen the other. Bring the tail gate to almost closed so you can just get in to work on it, put the loop over it, re-insert the second bolt, snug it up with a ratchet wrench, lower the gate and do the final tightening of the bolts. That way you don't have it loaded while trying to get the loop on and bolted. I've done it that way several times, both removing the tail gate and installing it.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll try to be more specific.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948