Rolled Over, Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddbl

Reaction score
I just joined this forum but have been a Bronco owner for many years. I currently own a 1983 with a 300 6-cylinder and a manual 4-speed OD trans, which I had been using for off-road trail riding, hunting, and adventures with my son. The frame and suspension on this truck are in excellent condition - all powder coated. The engine / transmission are also in great shape. Unfortunately my fun was interrupted when I rolled her on a trail in the Shenandoah valley (see pictures). With the help of some kind folks we got my ride back on its wheels using chains, a tree, and a Ford Expedition. I love these trucks - the thing started right up and I drove it down the mountain.

As you can see from the second picture, there is a lot of damage. My goal is to get the truck back to being weather proof, however, I do not really care how it looks as long as it can keep me dry and warm in a snow storm. My questions are as follows:

1) Are body parts still available that would enable this to be fixed?

2) What years of Bronco bodies would fit on my frame? I'm thinking of going to a junk yard, cutting a body off of a junker, and bolting it onto my frame (I already did this once when I powder coated the frame). Do I need to stick with 1980 - 1986 or are there other years that would bolt onto my frame?

3) Any other words of wisdom (other than don't roll your truck over :)) would be appreciated.

Devan

Greasy side up.JPG

Greasy side down again.JPG

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the zone :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . Even as much as I have been into restoring my 83, I'd have to agree with you that that one is not worth the time and effort. You can use the tub, cap, and front clip from any bronco from 80 - 96, just ask my Bronco, the only original external metal is the cab roof and A-posts. As far as sheet metal, you can get fenders, 1/4 panels, doors, tailgates, etc. from either a local auto repair parts supplier or from places like Jeff's Bronco Graveyard http://www.broncograveyard.com or LMC Truck http://www.lmctruck....talog/fd/t.aspx . Jeff's is the sponsor of this forum and offers a 2% discount for parts ordered on line. You need to enter discount code BZMEMBER and your forum user id to get the discount. The problem with shipping large sheet metal parts is the extra trucking charge, usually around $125.00 . So a local auto body repair parts supplier may be less expensive, but not necessarily.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Body Style; "...The body styles are year-grouped for overall appearance & fit; here is a compilation I have been doing; from various sources:

78-79, The redesign of the Bronco in 1978 was based on the F-100 truck, sharing many chassis, drivetrain, and body components. The entire front clip is indistinguishable from their full size trucks for those years. This new Bronco was based on the Ford F-Series pickup. In fact, the F-150 SuperCab four-wheel drive floor plan and steering linkage were used on the Bronco. The new Bronco boasted a 104.7 inch wheelbase and more room. Compared to the classic Bronco the new model offered 15% more front hip room, 30% more rear hip room. The cargo capacity

The new Bronco was larger outside too, five inches higher, ten inches wider, and two feet longer than the original.

The new Bronco featured a removable fiberglass hardtop (or should we say half top). When this top was removed it gave the new Bronco the open air feel everyone expected while keeping the front passengers covered. This feature stemmed from the fact that the Bronco was essentially the same as the F-Series pickup from the B-pillar forward.

80-86, The Bronco received a major redesign for 1980, coinciding with the F-Series. The new Bronco was shorter, and had cosmetic changes along with powertrain, suspension and other odds and ends. Dimensions for 1980 were reduced by 2.7 inches in length and 1.1 inches in width. Body was heavily restyled with cleaner lines; Wind drag was reduced by 25% and a new grille featured rectangular headlamps.

In 1987, the body and drivetrain of the fullsize Bronco changed, as it was still based on the F-Series. The new aero body style reflected a larger redesign of many Ford vehicles for the new model year. The body was restyled and featured a more aerodynamic look and Euro-style headlamps....the whole front clip from the 87-91 can be bolted onto the 80-96 body/frame.

There are a few posts from members that have done this, and I'm planning to do this over the winter months. The body lines of the wheelwell openings will not match front to back, not a problem if you're trimming the fenders like me, JSM84... by our pal here, by justshootme84 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums;

92-96, The Bronco, along with the F-Series, was updated for 1992. The new Bronco was redesigned with safety in mind, incorporating front crumple zones, rear shoulder seat belts, a third brakelight embedded in the removable top, and after 1994, driver-side airbags. Due to the taillight and shoulder belts being safety equipment integrated into the top, the top was no longer legally removable and all literature in the owners manuals that had previously explained how to take the top off was removed. Cosmetic exterior and interior changes included a sweeping front end w/ much more swept front sheetmetal that curved in at the fenders

Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

I have some body & Cab swap LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=452

including;

84 Bronco Info & pics in an 83; "...body tub is an 82, the tailgate is a 96, the doors are '0 & 94 with 94 power mirrors, the front clip is 84, and the camper shell is a 96 with a 94 Explorer roof rack & 82 sliding windows. The rear seat & dash are the original 83 parts, but the instrument cluster has been heavily modified with 88 fuel & volt gauges and a 94 PSOM. The front seats are mixed captain's chairs and the door panels are 93 XLTs with PM, PW, & PL..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Front End Clip Swap 87-91 in an 81-86

Source: by SyntheticD (Ferby

Pick-Up Cab Installation in an 81

Source: by Larry S (The Bronc, Larston, Lars915, Lars) at SuperMotors.net

=============

Elsewhere in my site;

Restoration of an 83 Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Crossmember Repairs in an 83; "... that rests on them obviously isn't right. On this side, its inboard lower plate is buckled up into the channel, which is why the top of the bushing is hidden by the outboard lower plate..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/66137

Restoration Info & pics, Frame-up of an 81 w/a 93 frame, etc.

Source: by Bryan (BigB, Pile_Of_Parts, The Black Beast) at http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=3410&s=12764#content

+++++++++++++++

FRAME:

Differences from 80-96, Strength & Dimensions; "...This got me thinking and I just found my Standard Catalog of 4x4s book. It has info on every model year domestic 4x4. It doesn't really specifically talk about frame differences from year to year, but it does have a Chassis Features section for each Bronco year.

Here's what it has: (1980-1985) Separate body and frame, box-section welded frame. 3.95 in. section modulus (1986) Separate body and frame, single channel, 5 cross members, welded frame. 3.66 in. section modulus. Maximum side rail section: 6.95 x 2.12 x 0.170 in. (1987-1989) Separate body and frame, single channel, 5 cross members, welded frame, 36,000 psi steel. 4.27 in. section modulus. Maximum side rail section: 7.01 x 2.12 x 0.202 in. (1990-1992) same as 87-89 but also notes low carbon steel (1993-1996) Separate body and frame, single channel, 5 cross members, welded frame, 3.66 in. section modulus. Maximum side rail section: 6.95 x 2.12 x 0.170 in. low carbon steel..."

Source: by BurntOrange

Stretching Wheelbase & Adding Lift in an 86

Source: by BigNorm (Old Desert Goat) at http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=2538&s=20173#content

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK