Roll Bars! Or Hitches?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grande_guerre

grande mondiale
Reaction score
I got a chance to get a trailer hitch or a rollbar for my 84 bronco. I woulda sprang for the hitch, but i reasoned that i dont have a trailer and won't have one for a while... But i've never seen a roll bar on an 80's bronco. Would it look funny?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
GQ, by "roll bar" I assume you mean a chrome roll bar like you see in the bed of a pick-up truck? The Bronco in the movie "Oceans Eleven" had a double-tube roll bar in back, as did the Bronco in "Romancing the Stone". Looks awesome *******!

Or is it one of the factory roll bars that some Broncos came with? Smittybilt offered a roll bar, particulary for 78/79 Broncos, that fit under the cap. I don't know for sure if that will fit in your 84.

Keep in mind that the first roll bar mentioned is only for "looks" or mounting lights, and is not considered a true safety feature in a roll over. It's still better than nothing, though, so if it fits I would get that over the hitch. I plan to install a 10-point roll cage in my 84 Bronco. I have it in the "parts" room, just haven't installed it yet.

drcarter0734

Reaction score
I had a factory roll bar in my 80. It was strictly for looks. It bolted into the wheel wells and floor with no backing support. Also it rattled like a **** unless you havve the foam bar covers. Though it was a nice place to mount speakers. I would spend my money else where.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Get a good cage or at least a roll bar. It should always be the first modification to any 4x4 rig. You never know when you will need it on or off road. You will definately wish you had it when you wake up upside down with your head cranked to one side becasue the roof caved in... :blink:

dicain

Reaction score
a hitch makes a tow point when you get in over your head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
There are other plases to hook on if you get stuck. Go for a good roll bar setup.]

:)>-

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
First check out S&Wracecars.com for their 8- 0r 10-point kits. Very well-built, not expensive at all. You should tie the rollbar or cage into your frame for safety. Check out Pirate4x4.com for good tech info on cages and tube frames and rollbars.

drcarter0734

Reaction score
I agree with the above statement. If you go the rollbar route, mount it to your frame. Bolting it to sheetmetal is creating one more thing to crack your skull when you go over.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj