Replacable section?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burns

Reaction score
Few days ago I heard a thunking noise when I hit any bumps. Went to check it out, and it turns out what the very end of my exhaust was bolted to is rusted completely through/off. Passenger side, if I stick my head in the rear wheelwell and look back, it's like a u-channel of metal. Is this frame, subframe, or something else? Is it bolted to the frame or welded or even part of it? Like I'm sure it would a lot of you guys, it's bothering me something fierce. I can get it welded/replaced if it can come off, but I need to know HOW it comes off, if at all. From what I can tell, it looks like all it really does is hold the back half of the rear fenders out.

Thanks all.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
There is a crossmember in back that's riveted to the frame rails. Might have a pic of mine to see if that's what you're problem is, JSM84

framerestore21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Does it run front to back or left to right ? If it runs side to side it's the crossmember LSM84 pointed out, particularly if you're describing it as "U" shaped rather than "C" shaped. The large C-channel running front to back IS the frame but that's a much heavier gauge steel and it's uncommon for the frame on any Ford truck to rot away that completely. The crossmember is a fairly easy fix, frames are a whole different story but as I said it's uncommon & doesn't sound like what you're describing.

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
It runs from left to right side, from top of tail light to bottom of body, and almost looks like a wide U. After I posted I realized I shoulda snapped a pic and posted it but it was way too dark and it woulda came out bad. Looking at the pic though, it looks like it's not replaceable and my only corse would be to grind clean and weld what I can. Adding a pic so if anyone has any ideas it'd be awesome.

Circled in green, easy to see and everyone does red haha.

DSCF0502a.JPG

Justshootme84

Reaction score
OK, that is part of the body tub support ABOVE the frame. The body mounts go under it, and it adds alot of stiffness to the body sides in back. It is spotwelded, so you'll have to figure a way to cut out he infected spot and weld in a new one. It may be possible to use a new piece of one of the other body supports from an F-150 at the back of the cab, since those are the closest thing made. Or find a good Bronco tub and cut it out of that one. I needed to cut into the ones on my Bronco for the rollcage outriggers to the frame, and was able to use a Sawz-All. JSM84

Just happened to run across a thread with some pics of the repair over at FSB:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showth...1828&page=2

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I have a spotweld cutter that I picked up from the Eastwood Company that works great on these(LOTS & lots of outstanding restoration/specialty tools available from Eastwood. They're a great company to know about).

http://search.eastwoodco.com/search?p=Q&am...&method=and

I noticed that our sponsor Jeff's also carries one:

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-19660_...weld_cutter.htm

Having the right tool for the job can sometimes save you a lot of time & effort but as JSM84 pointed out, in this case a sawzall will work. I have a small pneumatic body-saw that works well for stuff like this.

I just took a look at the 88' I'm using as a lawn ornament and it looks like dropping the gas tank will give you pretty good access.

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
OK, that is part of the body tub support ABOVE the frame. The body mounts go under it, and it adds alot of stiffness to the body sides in back. It is spotwelded, so you'll have to figure a way to cut out he infected spot and weld in a new one. It may be possible to use a new piece of one of the other body supports from an F-150 at the back of the cab, since those are the closest thing made. Or find a good Bronco tub and cut it out of that one. I needed to cut into the ones on my Bronco for the rollcage outriggers to the frame, and was able to use a Sawz-All. JSM84
Just happened to run across a thread with some pics of the repair over at FSB:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showth...1828&page=2

I dropped the tailgate to put some of my gear back in, and I happened to look at the spots he mentioned there, mainly between the tailgate and body right at the floor. It's rusted and starting to rot. My buddy and I are entertaining the idea of looking for a no engine/trans f150 and doing a swap, if there is no way to fix all this rust eating away at my truck. I love my bronco, but I don't have the time/money/space to do a body swap, if I even found a good donor. As for my prior rotting, I think I'm gonna cut out the infected area and weld some plate steel in there to hold it for now. :unsure:

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Yeah, if you have any more pics of the bed floor or tailgate area it might help to decide what advice to give you. ON my 86 Bronco, I've about given up on it and just pull parts from it as needed. When I took the hardtop off and opened thetailgate, the tg fell off onto the ground it was rusted so bad!!! I could also see alot of daylight thru the floor from underneath when pulling the t-case. The P.O. used a bunch of Bondo to cover up the rust spots on the rockers, but that's all fallen off already. JSM84

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
Looked again between the tailgate and the body, and my buddy said it's not too horrible. Almost survivable, even. He told me if it gets really bad he'd give me a hand cutting out the spots that need to be and welding in some plates to replace/strengthen the spots that need it or fishplate where it needs it. But for now, all I can do is let sleeping dogs lie.

madmax

Reaction score
if you don't plan on replacing the quater panels then i would cut some plates to fit there and weld them in or have them welded in. actually, i might be able to cut the plates for you and ship them out to you. on my truck i had the quater panel off already so i was able to just hack away all the rotted metal and weld new stuff in piece by piece. it took a couple hours but turned out just fine

rearpatchS.JPG

reardoneS.JPG

the round hole was done with a hole saw to determine how badly the interior was rusted, the plate behind that is HARD, good cobalt drill bits would barly touch it, ended up using the oxy torch, then flooded (used over a pint) the inside of everything with eastwood heavy duty anti-rust rigged up a piece of rubber hose to a cheap undercoating/bedliner spreyer, to basically make this

If you want to take the easy way out, drill holes in the patch plates and use self tapping sheet metal screws to attach it.

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
if you don't plan on replacing the quater panels then i would cut some plates to fit there and weld them in or have them welded in. actually, i might be able to cut the plates for you and ship them out to you. on my truck i had the quater panel off already so i was able to just hack away all the rotted metal and weld new stuff in piece by piece. it took a couple hours but turned out just fine
rearpatchS.JPG

reardoneS.JPG

the round hole was done with a hole saw to determine how badly the interior was rusted, the plate behind that is HARD, good cobalt drill bits would barly touch it, ended up using the oxy torch, then flooded (used over a pint) the inside of everything with eastwood heavy duty anti-rust rigged up a piece of rubber hose to a cheap undercoating/bedliner spreyer, to basically make this

If you want to take the easy way out, drill holes in the patch plates and use self tapping sheet metal screws to attach it.

That's my plan, for now. I'm just gonna put some plates in there, until I have the time and space to put the truck down for a few days/weeks.

Those pics, that's the section just inside the tailgate, or just to the sides of where it pivots on or where exactly? Because when I get the chance, that looks like a good idea that I should take up on.

madmax

Reaction score
RE.JPG

that should show you where it is

in the front at the bottom of the pillar there was rot to fix as well

madmax

Reaction score
actually, you in royersford pa? your not that far from me, if you want for a few bucks i can weld that up for you

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
actually, you in royersford pa? your not that far from me, if you want for a few bucks i can weld that up for you
I'm gonna see if my friend's dad can do it, but if he's too busy I'll definitly keep that in mind, thanks. :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK