Red Brake light and Yellow Rear Anti-Lock light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
So comming home today, I hit the brakes kinda hard to see if I could hear a clunk I once had (went away after getting into my car accident that bent the bumper 1/2")And last winter storm if I hit the brakes hard enough to lock the tires up (on ice mind you) I'd hear a very loud clunk as if someone threw a wrench into the tranny in motion.

So decided tonight to try the same thing. Doing about 45 and hit the brakes kinda hard but not too hard. Locked up all wheels. Then next thing I know the red BRAKE light is on, along with the yellow Rear Anti Lock light.

I assume this is due to low fluid level? It's at the half way mark. Going to buy some tomorrow on my way to work, however maybe this is a bigger issue than I expect??

Seabronc

Reaction score
Right, I would fill the reservoir first and then see what happens. However, I would want to know why it was so low in the first place. Leaking brake fluid? Pads and shoes severely worn?

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

kschirman

Reaction score
Lick SeaBronc said, the brake light can be a sign of low brake fluid. I would guess that your pads/shoes are getting low and when you stomped on the brakes, the fluid was low enough to trigger the sensor. If the pads are ok, then probably a leak somewhere.

Did the ABS light go back off once you restarted the engine? My rear abs light came on when i hit the brakes hard to avoid an accident, but went off when i restarted the engine and i havent seen it again since.

Did you hear the clunk you were originally looking for?

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I figured it was low fluid. My new truck did the same thing.. I had 4 or 5 different lights on because my fluid was low (worn pads..still had a few k left in em).

I know the Bronco is the turn of electronics and didn't know if there was a sensor to trigger such fluid levels (wish my washer fluid res. had that sensor..)

Did not hear the clunk. There was a light clunk when braking, and a very loud one when all the wheels locked up. After my car accident, it all went away. Didn't hear anything last night :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23