Rebuild And Pistons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grande_guerre

grande mondiale
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a rebuild on my 302. To clean the cylinders you'd have to hone it, but doesn't that take some off the I.D.? Kind of like boring it, but not as aggresive right? So then you'd buy larger piston rings...? Am i on the right track?

Gunner

Reaction score
best bet is to bring it to an auto machine shop they will do it all including getting you the right size pistons and rings and if they are good they will even gap the rings to gain you the most horse power. but that is kind of expensive.

4xfan78

Reaction score
If all you need is to clean the cylinders you can hone them as long as you dont go crazy on them and not have to ga any larger on the rings. The best thing to do is to take it to a machine shop and let them do it. Usually it only cost about $35.00 to clean the block and check it for cracks. They will let you know if it needs to bo bored out or not. That is around $90.00 for the block then you can get the rods and crank pollished they can put the cam bearings in and new freeze plugs also. When I got my 351m done I pad $600.00 for the machine work and a master rebuild kit.

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
Yes, honing removes a small amount of material, and .005" is a small amount. this is as much as you can go on the STOCK bore, without having to get bigger pistons.

Also you need to let the Machinist know what type of rings you are going to use, so he can final hone the bores correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula