Rear Window Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigdaddyhank

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forum just bought my first ever Bronco. It's an 89 Bronco Eddie Bauer with the 5.0 and a manual transmission. Picked the bad boy up for $1k with 115k original miles and no rust. The issue I am having is that the rear window will only roll dow an inch or so and then stops. It will roll down and up within that same one inch with no issue but won't go any further. I replaced the motor today incase it was just week and still have the same issue please help!!!! Thanks

Brian

Nashville, TN

Seabronc

Reaction score
Can you hear the motor running when it refuses to move the window?

peace.gif

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you can hear it running and the window won't budge, this is 99.9% sure to be the problem http://broncograveya...repair-kit.html Jeff offers a 2% discount fot BZ Members when ordered on line, enter discount code BZMEMBER and include your BZ user ID.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ya, Bob brings up a good point. There may be bind that is preventing it from coming down, of course that will also cause the motor to chew up those gears. Have you tried helping it down once you can get your fingers on the edge? In any event you will probably also want to check the window tracks and the window regulator just to make sure that nothing is wrong there.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
B

bigdaddyhank

Reaction score
Im thinking it may be the regulator or window tracks cause the motor is brand new. I have tried helping it down while operating key switch and it wont budge. I have tried pushing and pulling on the TG and still wont work. It is slightly dented in in in the lower right corner. Would it be easier to replace the regulator or get another TG?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Im thinking it may be the regulator or window tracks cause the motor is brand new. I have tried helping it down while operating key switch and it wont budge. I have tried pushing and pulling on the TG and still wont work. It is slightly dented in in in the lower right corner. Would it be easier to replace the regulator or get another TG?
Well, it doesn't sound like the dent is serious enough to prevent the window from coming down. I would suggest that you take neither action right now. I would get inside and remove the access panel, support the window with a piece of wood, remove the motor, and then let the window down. Once you have the window down, open the tail gate. From there I would remove the window; requires removing the rubber end seals and weather stripping, ( carefully unless you plan on replacing it with new ones). remove the defroster connections and 4 nuts on the bottom of the window, (it can then be removed from the tail gate). Now you can check to see what may be binding the window, it could be the regulator or the tracks on the sides, you may need new "Tailgate Track Glass Run Channels" http://broncograveya...n-channels.html , a new track http://broncograveya...n-channels.html , or some other part http://broncograveya...ate-bronco.html . I doubt that the regulator is bad but that is possible. Even if you decide that a new tail gate is in the plan, you will have to transfer the parts you have to the new one.

So first determine what is causing the problem before throwing money at it. If the dent was a recent event, it may have bent the track on that side or caused it to shift out of position, that is hard to tell since we can't see the damage. Post a picture and we could get a better idea about that.

If you need parts, our sponsor Jeff's Bronco Graveyard offers BZ members a 2% discount for all on line orders. Enter discount code BZMEMBER and include your BZ user Id in the order.

Good luck,

peace.gif

nelbur

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I replaced my motor on my rear window, so my memory may be faulty, but it seems like using too long a bolt might hit on the arms that raise and lower the window. Is there any chance you used different bolts from those in the original motor?

OP
OP
B

bigdaddyhank

Reaction score
Well I replaced the motor myself and the old motor and bolts were original. So....am i correct in assuming that once I remove the motor I should be able to lower the window by hand? Cause when I changed the motor the window didn't budge and I didn't support it.

OP
OP
B

bigdaddyhank

Reaction score
ill see if I cant get yall a picture tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!!

Seabronc

Reaction score
So....am i correct in assuming that once I remove the motor I should be able to lower the window by hand? Cause when I changed the motor the window didn't budge and I didn't support it.
I'm going to take a look at one I have in the garage to see if I can come up with some better suggestions. Take a picture of the damage and inside the tail gate if possible, maybe we can spot something.

peace.gif

OP
OP
B

bigdaddyhank

Reaction score
Had time yesterday to pull it all apart and try to solve the mystery. And I got it figured out. So the problem wound up being the square plastic bushings that slide and rotate inside the rails that connect the glass to the regulator. They were seized up and full of rust. I soaked em in CLR worked em till all the rust came out and then lubes em up with some Lucas Red N' Tacky axle grease and violla the window works like a charm. Thanks for all your input!!!

Seabronc

Reaction score
Had time yesterday to pull it all apart and try to solve the mystery. And I got it figured out. So the problem wound up being the square plastic bushings that slide and rotate inside the rails that connect the glass to the regulator. They were seized up and full of rust. I soaked em in CLR worked em till all the rust came out and then lubes em up with some Lucas Red N' Tacky axle grease and violla the window works like a charm. Thanks for all your input!!!
Thanks for the feedback, never even gave that a thought but the problem did sound like some kind of a bind.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23