rear quarter panels 1978-79

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OX1

Reaction score
If you will look in behind it. You,ll see what cause it to rust out. No drain holes. Dill about 2-1/2 inch holes in the bottom amd you should noy have any more problems. Looking good.

This is what caused it to rot out (road and water salt), and it'll probably happen again, no matter what. :)
If and when it gets retired from both, then maybe a full body off (and full 1/4's).

20150905_181217a.jpg

DCP04741.jpg

That said, if you are talking about the lower end of support tubes for TG latches, they were partially cut out at the bottom
14 years ago (and no longer attached to that lower 1/4 panel corner), when I just patched up the rust, without cutting
large sections out, like now. I also cut out support for wheel arch completely (when that was fixed), as we all know that's why
they rot out.

Recently, I had front inner plastic wheelwells out and tried lining them up in rear wheelwells, and except for the front area, they
line up surprisingly well with the opening in the rear 3/4th's, even at rear edge of wheelwell and back to lower body transition.
But which is worse, keeping the rear tires from kicking things up in there, or trying to stop that, and then having the junk that
invariably will get in there stuck on top of them, against bodywork?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
i called goodmark and he said all of these replacement panel are stamped by apex. and different names are placed on them. then he tried to tell me 22 gauge is stock thickness for sheetmetal on 1978 bronco. i called sherman and he said he would e-mail me back but never did. getting very dishearted and wish i had not started this project
I know the feeling. Got the gas leak and carbeurator finally straightened out. READY TO ROLL. tHEN i STARTED HAING LIGHT TROUBLES--WITH new sockets and bulbs--made in CHINA. Finally found out the bulbs were not snug in the socket. Took some cooper wire and shimmed it. I get some sockets and bulbs at the junk yard when I go back and replace the China junk. Also my NEW ALTERNATOR went out. Damn junk is all the parts store sale now days. Better off going to a junk yard.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
This is what caused it to rot out (road and water salt), and it'll probably happen again, no matter what. :)
If and when it gets retired from both, then maybe a full body off (and full 1/4's).

View attachment 28128

View attachment 28129

That said, if you are talking about the lower end of support tubes for TG latches, they were partially cut out at the bottom
14 years ago (and no longer attached to that lower 1/4 panel corner), when I just patched up the rust, without cutting
large sections out, like now. I also cut out support for wheel arch completely (when that was fixed), as we all know that's why
they rot out.

Recently, I had front inner plastic wheelwells out and tried lining them up in rear wheelwells, and except for the front area, they
line up surprisingly well with the opening in the rear 3/4th's, even at rear edge of wheelwell and back to lower body transition.
But which is worse, keeping the rear tires from kicking things up in there, or trying to stop that, and then having the junk that
invariably will get in there stuck on top of them, against bodywork?
Have you tried smearing cup grease underneith? It might be messy,but it helps alot and prevents rust.. It,ll stay on for a good while.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Years ago when I did my rear quarters, I noticed they were also thinner than the originals. But since I had to get it done, I installed them. Surprisingly they're pretty rigid once I welded them in. Later on I put new front fenders on thats the same gauge. I leaned against the pass side wheel well one day and it buckled in. ****** me off. Right after I moved to Texas I found a guy selling a set of used factory ones which I still have on til this day. Those thin junk ones went in the scrap pile. If I had known about the rears being thinner I would've waited til I found thicker gauge ones. But luckily theyve held up and worked out for me so far. Now all my work on other spots is starting to rust again from not completing everything 100% and not being in a garage. Hopefully have one up soon before its more work. I wish someone would come up with a reproduction tub. Id save the time and put a whole new body on. I dont know what the hold up is. All these manufactures making 66-77 broncos tubs and others but nobody comes out with a 77-78.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Years ago when I did my rear quarters, I noticed they were also thinner than the originals. But since I had to get it done, I installed them. Surprisingly they're pretty rigid once I welded them in. Later on I put new front fenders on thats the same gauge. I leaned against the pass side wheel well one day and it buckled in. ****** me off. Right after I moved to Texas I found a guy selling a set of used factory ones which I still have on til this day. Those thin junk ones went in the scrap pile. If I had known about the rears being thinner I would've waited til I found thicker gauge ones. But luckily theyve held up and worked out for me so far. Now all my work on other spots is starting to rust again from not completing everything 100% and not being in a garage. Hopefully have one up soon before its more work. I wish someone would come up with a reproduction tub. Id save the time and put a whole new body on. I dont know what the hold up is. All these manufactures making 66-77 broncos tubs and others but nobody comes out with a 77-78.
What kind of mileage do you get . Good looking bronc.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
What kind of mileage do you get . Good looking bronc.
I couldn't even tell you. Im guessing anywhere from 15mpg. I could be way off in either direction. I only have the 19 gallon tank, so it goes pretty quick. The Cummins definitely moves it no problem though. I cant keep track of how many miles per gallon because my speedo is a few miles off from how fast im actually going. Never really cared to figure it out also. 😁

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I couldn't even tell you. Im guessing anywhere from 15mpg. I could be way off in either direction. I only have the 19 gallon tank, so it goes pretty quick. The Cummins definitely moves it no problem though. I cant keep track of how many miles per gallon because my speedo is a few miles off from how fast im actually going. Never really cared to figure it out also. 😁
I understand. I put bigger tires on mine one time and it incrweased 3mpg.Then later on I foung out I had a bunch of leaks in my tank. Since then I put a 33 gallon tank on it and getting ready to rebuild the 400.

OP
OP
W

wobbly-pop

Reaction score
got my 1/4 patch panels in from mills today they are 18 gauge but the corner on both were bent almost 90 degrees. i have no luck. i will use them anyway cause i usually round the corners off anyways to limit heat distorsion. ill do it after my week of vacation from work and my toys. perhaps ill send some pics when i get back. also doing a frame off on a 72 blazer. got a model a tudor and pickup on the back burner.

OP
OP
W

wobbly-pop

Reaction score
looks like quite the tinker toy

OP
OP
W

wobbly-pop

Reaction score
Thanks, was that 12$ odd dollars to ship? Was 10 year ago I guess, but that shipping seems insanely low.
Besides full 1/4's, this is the panel I was talking about, no one else has it.

It does not wrap around all the way to line up with edge between 1/4 and TG. I had to add to it.
This how wide it should be on lower rear edge of 1/4

View attachment 28116

and patch was only this wide.

View attachment 28117

I called JBG and they said that is the way they are, so I had to cut and "paste" a new edge in.

View attachment 28118

View attachment 28119

View attachment 28120

Still needs some "fine tuning"

View attachment 28121
i think it is very informative when pics like these are posted. it gives a chance to see how others are doing things and helps those who have never done it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
If you go with another tank and it has the guard on it. Make sure the tank is centered. If not (like me,I just noticed the other day. It was right against the frame. That could rub a hole it it. So now I have to lower the guard a little and scoot the tank to the center and tighten it up. I have a 33 gallon. I saw on hear where a guy had a 45 gallon tank. Either one would take a bank loan now days to fill up.hahahaha

johnnyreb

Reaction score
If you go with another tank and it has the guard on it. Make sure the tank is centered. If not (like me,I just noticed the other day. It was right against the frame. That could rub a hole it it. So now I have to lower the guard a little and scoot the tank to the center and tighten it up. I have a 33 gallon. I saw on hear where a guy had a 45 gallon tank. Either one would take a bank loan now days to fill up.hahahaha
I got the tank centered. With about 6-7 gallon of gas in it--its pretty heavy. How I lowered it was I got some different length bolts and lowered it a little at a time because I would have to change the lenghts once in awhile. With the gas it it. I noticed you cannot put much pressure prying on it , I went ahead and lowered it down about 2-3 inches and useing my hands pushed it and it fell right into place. There were two grove on my skid plate it fell on. I hadn,t notice before . The tank also has the grove on it. Its got a little clearance from the frame now--on both sides of a little over a inch. Hope this saves someone some trouble and to double check things and NOT get in a hurry.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I remeber seeing a tool. I think from Eastwood. That off set the piece you were gonna add to. After you dimpled the metal. You laid in the new part and it was smooth.Then you added in materal to cover up . To make it look like 1 piece.Do you recall the tools name or saw it?
I was just thinking back. Their is a tool called Cleko . You drilled a hole the same diameter of the tip of the cleko and used what we called cleko pliers to compress the cleko. Put the tip of the cleko in the hole of the met(s) both the metal you were adding and the metal on the vehicle .We used them on air planes. When I was in the navy and it gave your hands to finish up. The clekos kept the two pieces of metall together. I,ll have my niece to take some pictures on mine.and try to send them tomorrow.

OX1

Reaction score

Just an FYI for all, but the 33 gallon plastic tank, which is only made by one company (no matter where you get it), is not made correctly. The ribs in tank are 1/2 inch off from ribs in the skidplate. It can't be perfectly centered no matter how hard you try. I called company, they said they had been making it for 20 or 30 years, and never heard about this before. I sent them pics of the issue, but they didn't seem to care.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Just an FYI for all, but the 33 gallon plastic tank, which is only made by one company (no matter where you get it), is not made correctly. The ribs in tank are 1/2 inch off from ribs in the skidplate. It can't be perfectly centered no matter how hard you try. I called company, they said they had been making it for 20 or 30 years, and never heard about this before. I sent them pics of the issue, but they didn't seem to care.
Ox, I lowered my tank the other day--not enough and tried prying over and stopped..,Afraid I might punch a hole in it. I lowered it more(seemed like it was against the top and was stopping it. I lowered it more (make sure you have longer bolts to change as you go. Because you might have it on your chest.When I got it lowered more. I pushed it and it fell down on some groves. It looks even now. Hope it helps you. Good luck.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Ox, I lowered my tank the other day--not enough and tried prying over and stopped..,Afraid I might punch a hole in it. I lowered it more(seemed like it was against the top and was stopping it. I lowered it more (make sure you have longer bolts to change as you go. Because you might have it on your chest.When I got it lowered more. I pushed it and it fell down on some groves. It looks even now. Hope it helps you. Good luck.
I also put in a news skid plate.The original was rusted bad. Maybe that is why mine fit. IThe new skid plate may have been made for the 33 gal tank,. I don,t know. Maybe others will know and tell us.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I remeber seeing a tool. I think from Eastwood. That off set the piece you were gonna add to. After you dimpled the metal. You laid in the new part and it was smooth.Then you added in materal to cover up . To make it look like 1 piece.Do you recall the tools name or saw it?
Yes I saw it Mike.Thanks. I,m gonna get me one. A little high,but if its well made. It,ll pay for itself.

OX1

Reaction score

I got it to fit, but it is offset and it crushes plastic slightly by being off center. It does not fit upper straps either, so it is definitely made wrong. I put up a new post with pics about it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I got it to fit, but it is offset and it crushes plastic slightly by being off center. It does not fit upper straps either, so it is definitely made wrong. I put up a new post with pics about it.
Ox, does it have the original skid plate?